When I check "run as administrator" in Win10, I can no longer see network shares.

07-22-2019 09:26 AM
MichaelAugust
Occasional Contributor III

Seemingly at random, when I install/uninstall, repair or upgrade ArcGIS Pro somehow the "run as administrator" checkbox gets checked on the arcgis pro .exe file within Windows.  When this occurs I've noticed that I can no longer see my network shares.  "Run as administrator" seems like it should allow more access to the win system than less, so I'm just wondering if anyone has noticed this?

I thought it might be a good idea to leave it on as I've had issues in the past cloning python environments in conda, updating/installing packages etc.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
ThomasColson
MVP Frequent Contributor

network shares are a per user, not per machine, operation. The "Administrator" would have to remap to those shares in order to see them. 

MichaelAugust

Ah so would I only have to do that once as "Administrator"? I thought I tried that but was still unable to "see" them in any of ArcGISPro's dialogues...I'll try that.

0 Kudos
MichaelAugust

Would I need to log into my machine as someone other than myself then, I am an "Admin" on the local machine, I guess I don't understand if "run as admin" is using a specific account "Administrator" or just my account "as an admin" somehow - could you clarify the above?

0 Kudos
ThomasColson
MVP Frequent Contributor

If you right-click run-as, Pro is going to recognized you as an admin, and you will have to have previously mapped those drives as an admin for Pro to see them. Right-click on explorer, run as admin, or script it with an admin prompt batch file. 

0 Kudos