What is the future of ArcCatalog in future Pro versions?

02-10-2015 11:59 AM
RenatoSalvaleon
Occasional Contributor III

Unless I missed it, there's several Administration features in current ArcCatalog that are not available in Pro, specially the ones for geodatabases, e.g., Manage and Administer which is slightly different for each type of data objects.

81 Replies
KevinDunlop
Occasional Contributor III

Pro really needs the SDE management tools added back. Without them, there is no way for me to switch to Pro since the majority of job is managing SDE.  In addition, it would be nice if you could drag and drop from the project pane into GP tools like you can in catalog already.  They have an opportunity to make a "Database Management" project template that is more focus on managing data than using it.  There are many database level information they could provide a tables or reports.  So me all feature class/dataset privileges that user X has.  How many edits were preformed today?  GDBT toolset state tree is useful at times. A report of each feature class and when it was analyzed last. And so on. Much of this can be gotten from SQL but having it in the same place as my SDE management software would save alot of time.

GeorgeBrown1
New Contributor III

I have been working with one of the ESRI Instructors on several AGP issues and had them check in with the Pro Team at UC this week regarding some of the problems we had with Pro. Here is and update from the AGP team regarding Arc Catalog:

"there is no plan for an AGP equivalent for AC but in 2.3 they are implementing the start of AGP in “Untitled” mode meaning you don’t have to create a *.aprx initially just to start using AGP.  So theoretically one could start AGP in Untitled mode, use the Catalog Pane to manage data, and close AGP without saving."