What is the deal with ArcGIS Pro and accessing data stored on a network?

08-04-2020 06:17 AM
MatthewBeal
Occasional Contributor III

I recently created a topo dataset for our county that is broken up into around 300 tiles. All of our data is stored on a network drive because those are backed up daily and also because we have multiple users that may need to access that data. In the process of creating that data, I used feature class to feature class GP  tool several times and each time it took a substantial amount of time to complete. Furthermore, when I was finally finished creating the database, I opened a map and attempted to start adding in some of the layers to arcGIS Pro, it took what felt like an eternity for the feature datasets in the file geodatabase to open. I timed it and on average, it took ~20 seconds for the feature datasets to open and display the data. 

When I copied the folder to my local drive and tried the same operations, it was a night and day difference. The feature class to feature class GP tool was substantially faster and opening the feature datasets was near instant. Has anyone else experienced this issue and resolved it? Long term storage of data locally is simply not an option for me. Furthermore, this issue does not occur in ArcMap. It is specific to Pro. I would greatly appreciate any advice that you may have!

0 Kudos
6 Replies
BrianE
by
Occasional Contributor II

This has been a known issue in Pro for a while (since 2.0). I and many others have had the same issues and nothing has gotten better since then.

0 Kudos
MatthewBeal

I do hope this can get resolved. We have a ton of data on our network that needs to be accessible. It's so strange that ArcMap has no issues with this. I've found Pro to be far more optimized and faster in almost every single aspect except for working within catalog.

MarkBockenhauer
Esri Regular Contributor

Matthew,

Are you seeing the file access slowness with ArcGIS Pro 2.6?

Thanks,
Mark

0 Kudos
MatthewBeal

Mark, 

Yes. I am using ArcGIS Pro 2.6

0 Kudos
MarkBockenhauer
Esri Regular Contributor

Matthew,

I cannot speak to the time that it takes to run the GP Tool, but I am interested in this part of your question

" Furthermore, when I was finally finished creating the database, I opened a map and attempted to start adding in some of the layers to arcGIS Pro, it took what felt like an eternity for the feature datasets in the file geodatabase to open. I timed it and on average, it took ~20 seconds for the feature datasets to open and display the data."

How many feature classes or feature datasets are in the filegeodatabase?

0 Kudos
MatthewBeal

There are 47 feature datasets and each one contains between 1 and 20 feature classes, average being around 10 if I had to guess. 

0 Kudos