What does the Locator Parcel Role ParcelJoinID do?

Jump to solution
09-08-2020 09:02 AM
Joshua-Young
Occasional Contributor III

I went to the trouble of creating a new field in our address points GIS layer to store parcel IDs and populated the field with the ID of the parcel that intersected the address point. However, when creating a new Locator and mapping the ParcelJoinID for the Parcel Role and the Point Address Role nothing is different about the functionality of the locator. Searching for a parcel ID returns the parcel ID and no address information and searching for an address point returns just the address point and no parcel information. The same is true when doing a reverse geocode. The reverse geocode will return either a parcel ID with no address information or an address with no parcel ID. 

I am testing with parcels that have both a parcel ID and an address point. What does the ParcelJoinID actually do?

"Not all those who wander are lost" ~ Tolkien
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
ShanaBritt
Esri Regular Contributor

Joshua:

The Parcel Join ID field is used to link Parcel records to PointAddress records to minimize duplicate geocoding results. It sounds like you are trying to create a multirole locator that consists of the Parcel role and Point Address role and linking these two roles together based on Parcel Join ID will minimize duplicate results when you search and will not return. There are a couple of ways to get what you are looking for if I understand what you have described.

1. You can build a locator based on the PointAddress role and add a custom output field for the parcel id and map the field from the point data to the custom output field. Then when you geocode the address the parcel id will be part of the output fields.

2. You can build a locator based on the Parcel role where you map Parcel Name and the address related fields, which will allow you to search for just the parcel name (apn), the address of the parcel, or parcel name + address. If you include the address elements the output will include the address when you search for the parcel name.

3. Build a multirole locator with Parcel (optionally, you can map the address elements)  and Point Address roles and link the roles based on Parcel Join ID and this will allow you to search for either parcel id or address and reduce duplicate results.

For more info on locator role fields, parcel role, and linking in multirole locators see the following topics:

Locator role fields—ArcGIS Pro | Documentation 

Parcel role

Combine multiple data layers into a single locator—ArcGIS Pro | Documentation 

View solution in original post

3 Replies
ShanaBritt
Esri Regular Contributor

Joshua:

The Parcel Join ID field is used to link Parcel records to PointAddress records to minimize duplicate geocoding results. It sounds like you are trying to create a multirole locator that consists of the Parcel role and Point Address role and linking these two roles together based on Parcel Join ID will minimize duplicate results when you search and will not return. There are a couple of ways to get what you are looking for if I understand what you have described.

1. You can build a locator based on the PointAddress role and add a custom output field for the parcel id and map the field from the point data to the custom output field. Then when you geocode the address the parcel id will be part of the output fields.

2. You can build a locator based on the Parcel role where you map Parcel Name and the address related fields, which will allow you to search for just the parcel name (apn), the address of the parcel, or parcel name + address. If you include the address elements the output will include the address when you search for the parcel name.

3. Build a multirole locator with Parcel (optionally, you can map the address elements)  and Point Address roles and link the roles based on Parcel Join ID and this will allow you to search for either parcel id or address and reduce duplicate results.

For more info on locator role fields, parcel role, and linking in multirole locators see the following topics:

Locator role fields—ArcGIS Pro | Documentation 

Parcel role

Combine multiple data layers into a single locator—ArcGIS Pro | Documentation 

Joshua-Young
Occasional Contributor III

I misunderstood what the ParcelJoinID was being used for. I thought it was used to do a traditional join, but the filtering duplicate results makes a lot of sense. I think Option 2 will accomplish what I am trying to do. Thank you for this information.

"Not all those who wander are lost" ~ Tolkien
0 Kudos
Josh_Ittenbach
New Contributor III

Shana,

I am attempting to build a locator with point addresses linked to parcels with site addresses similar to option 3 you described here.

The problem I'm running into is de-duplicating the results. All combinations I've tried produce suggestions with both point and parcel addresses:

Screenshot 2021-02-12 150346.png

The only time it reliably suggests a single point address is when there are multiple point addresses linked to a single parcel.

Is this expected behavior? I've tested with Pro 2.7.1 and Enterprise 10.8.1.

Thanks,

Josh Ittenbach

0 Kudos