What are the limitations on polygons in a given feature layer?

Jump to solution
01-21-2021 12:29 PM
Labels (2)
JesseTemplin2
New Contributor III

Hello,

I am creating a polygon feature layer from a postgres table and saving it to a file geodatabase. The rough outline of the workflow is MakeQueryLayer -> CopyFeatures -> MakeFeatureLayer -> Delete -> addDataFromPath -> save.

The query returns 8470 rows where one column is a polygon. However, if I create a polygon feature layer with this query, ArcGIS will only populate 1130 rows. If I use ST_Simplify on the polygon column, ArcGIS will populate 4643 rows.

So there appears to be some limit on the number or complexity of polygons in a given layer. I can workaround this by assigning them to multiple layers, but I would like to understand exactly what the limitation is in this scenario. Can someone please clarify?

Thanks!

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
DavidPike
MVP Frequent Contributor

Just throwing it out there but can you check the geometry for errors in the Postgres gui?

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
DavidPike
MVP Frequent Contributor

Just throwing it out there but can you check the geometry for errors in the Postgres gui?

0 Kudos
JesseTemplin2
New Contributor III

This at least uncovered some more info. I have them split into 5 groups and found an invalid polygon in group 5, but that group loads fine.

But it turns out my workaround doesn't actually work. Group 4 is still missing some polygons, and the number missing from there plus the total number in group 5 is the same amount missing when I run the query all as one group. So it's hitting this one polygon and then stops but doesn't throw an error.

Still investigating...

0 Kudos
DanPatterson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Multipart polygons?

8470 are those rows id'ed as unique? or one of these number 1130, 4643  The latter two suggest the multipart/singlepart idea

@JoshuaBixby  any ideas?

... sort of retired...
0 Kudos
JesseTemplin2
New Contributor III

They are all unique, and they should all be single polygons not multipolygons. I think I've narrowed it down to a problematic row. It's valid with hand without using ST_Simplify.

0 Kudos
JesseTemplin2
New Contributor III

Thanks @DavidPike  and @DanPatterson  for the responses. It turns out there was a polygon where the first coordinate was repeated. PostGIS apparently still considers this valid (not sure I agree), and ArcGIS doesn't throw an error, but simply ends the query at the problematic polygon.

0 Kudos