Warning about Pro 2.1 and publishing to federated servers

01-18-2018 08:50 AM
JeffPace
MVP Alum

I was overjoyed to see the option to finally overwrite web layers on federated servers when publishing to Portal.  While i would prefer to publish directly to server, this will do.  But alas, it does not work

When publishing a web layer to Portal, if you choose  a server that is not your HOSTING server (a secondary federated server) it ignores your choice and publishes to your hosting server.

I am so tired of this not working.  It is half-baked and seemingly untested.  This is a new feature, so obviously it was just added, but you would think it would at test the basic functionality.

dlaw-esristaff

19 Replies
ThomasColson
MVP Frequent Contributor

How does that work when the SSL certificate is tied to the FQDN of the server name? As Portal doesn't seem to work well when using wildcard certs, or certs without the machine name in the SAN.....

0 Kudos
JeffPace
MVP Alum

We have a single SSL cert on our main domain, www.mymanatee.org. All our servers are behind a reverse proxy and web adaptor, so they are

www.mymanatee.org/arcgis01

www.mymanatee.org/arcgis02/ 

etc.

This was causing all the servers to show up in portal with the "name" www.mymanatee.org.  I renamed them in portal (no change to the server itself, just the name of the federated server which i believe is an alias).

Hope that clarifies

StevenHaslemore
Occasional Contributor

Hi Jeff Pace,

good find and thanks for documenting the issue up here, this just helped me resolve map service publishing issues.

However we're having issues publishing Web Tools, have you tried this within your environment?

Prior to updating the "name" I was getting the following issues for map services and web tools respectively, `The ArcGIS GIS server role is not licensed on the ArcGIS Server` and `Your federated server version does not support web tools`. We have three federated servers, 'server' (server for maps and Is Hosted True), 'geoprocess'  (server for gp), 'image', the image server was first in the list and publishing to image services was fine.

After updating the "name" map services work but the web tool error remains.

Within the Web Tool Content pane at first no Federated Server is selected in the dropdown, then when switching it to either of our 'server' servers (site.com/server or site.com/geoprocess) and analyzing again it will crash Pro.

Any thoughts appreciated!

Cheers,

Steven

cc Melanie Summers

0 Kudos
MelanieSummers
Occasional Contributor III

Hi Steven,

What version is your federated server? Are you still getting the error that your server role is licensed on the ArcGIS Server or that the federated server version doesn't support web tools?

For the geoprocess server, is access to the admin API available through the admin URL?

Thanks,
Melanie

StevenHaslemore
Occasional Contributor

Hi Melanie, 

Yes, still getting the `Your federated server version does not support web tools` error.

We're running 10.5.1 and have got access to the admin API.

Thanks,

Steven

0 Kudos
MelanieSummers

Web tools require a 10.6 federated server.

Publish web tools

Melanie

StevenHaslemore
Occasional Contributor

Ahha, well that was easily answered, I clearly need to do some more reading up on the changing landscape!

Thanks Melanie

0 Kudos
SimonJackson

Having a similar issue on a 10.6 single machine base deployment using the Esri Azure template.

'Your federated server version does not support web tools"

Trying to publish a GP Tool from Pro from my local machine to this instance.  Any ideas?

You mention access to the Admin API?  I believe that this is not exposed externally using the default security settings for Azure.  Does this need to be tweaked?

0 Kudos
MelanieSummers

Hi Simon,

Server based services (map image layers, web tools, etc.) as well as web layers that are cached (scene and tile layers) require access to the admin API, so yes, you would need to change your security settings from the default option for the Esri Azure template.

We're working on improving this experience with future releases.

Thanks,

Melanie

0 Kudos
SimonJackson

Hi Melanie

Just to confirm, you mean poke through access to the GIS Server Admin URL?

e.g. https://amachinename.domain.com.au:6443/server  or access to the portaladmin component?

0 Kudos