Select to view content in your preferred language

Voxel layer doesn't show even though all coordinate systems match

07-31-2023 01:03 PM
zdgra
by
New Contributor III

I created a NetCDF file and then added it as a multidimensional voxel layer to ArcGIS Pro. I then got this warning:

Voxel layer can only be drawn in local scenes with the same coordinate system as the voxel layer. Change the scene to a local scene and the coordinate system of the scene to match the voxel layer.

Looking at the scene's Map Properties > Coordinate Systems, I found that my voxel layer used the WGS 1984 coordinate system while the World Topographic Map and WorldElevation3D/Terrain3D layers used the WGS 1984 Web Mercator (auxiliary sphere) coordinate system.

voxel-layer-not-drawing.png

However, I'm still getting the same warning about the coordinate systems not matching. I've also tried changing the Z coordinate system to both None and WGS 1984, to no effect. I've also restarted ArcGIS Pro, to no effect.

Here's the spatial reference for my voxel layer, in case it helps:

voxel-layer-spatial-reference.png

What should I do?

16 Replies
Andrew--Johnson
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi,

Which version of ArcGIS Pro are you using? You can reproduce this warning with the following workflow?

1) Click Insert Tab > New Map > New Local Scene

2) Click Map Tab > Click Add Data dropdown > Add Multidimensional Voxel Layer 

3) Browse to the netCDF file and click OK

4) The voxel layer is added to the scene

0 Kudos
zdgra
by
New Contributor III

Hi Andrew,

After working on some things, the warning no longer shows up. Now, it's simply that the voxel layer doesn't display at all.

no-display.png

I've checked the data and there is data in the NetCDF file. What do you think is happening? What should I do?

0 Kudos
Andrew--Johnson
Esri Regular Contributor

Have you tried turning off the basemap and Terrain? It could be beneath the Ground. The other thing to try is to add it as a multidimensional raster to verify that it displays in 2D.

thanks,

Andrew

0 Kudos
zdgra
by
New Contributor III

I did try turning off the basemap and terrain - one at a time and both at the same time. I still cannot see it. I'll try adding it as a multidimensional raster, that's a good idea.

0 Kudos
zdgra
by
New Contributor III

@Andrew--JohnsonHey Andrew, I did try the multidimensional raster approach and got something to display.

multidimensional-raster.png

Unfortunately I'm still not seeing anything when I add the data as a multidimensional voxel layer.

0 Kudos
Andrew--Johnson
Esri Regular Contributor

Can you share the netCDF file you are using?

0 Kudos
zdgra
by
New Contributor III

Sure thing. Here it is.

0 Kudos
Andrew--Johnson
Esri Regular Contributor

@zdgra 

I went ahead and took a look and the issue is that the data is irregular so when that's the case we cannot guarantee that it will draw. For these cases we have a python script that will regularize the values for you which you can find here https://pro.arcgis.com/en/pro-app/latest/help/mapping/layer-properties/voxel-layer-freqently-asked-q... 

I went ahead and ran the netCDF file through the script and have attached the output to this message. The data now displays in ArcGIS Pro.

AndrewJohnson_0-1691082202411.png

thanks,

Andrew

0 Kudos
zdgra
by
New Contributor III

Wow! That looks so good. Thank you, Andrew.

See, this is interesting because I, too, saw that FAQ and ran my NetCDF file (a different one than the one I sent you - same data but slightly different parameters) through that same regularization script, but didn't get ArcGIS Pro to display anything.

Here's the output of running my data through that script. When you're able to, could you please look into it and tell me what went wrong for me?

0 Kudos