Visualize/query shapefile field by angle. Zero issue

12-02-2022 05:39 AM
Simonez
New Contributor III

Hi all,

I am facing the following issue. I have a point shapefile with an angular field. This field contains values of azimuth where 0°/360° correspond to North, 90° East, 180° south and 270° West. I want to vislualize the values in between 330° and 170° with a specific color. Alternatively, I'd like to make a query to only visualize these data points (AZIM >330 AND AZIM <170). Well, how to address this as the azimuth range comprises 0°?  It seems ArcGIS is not recognizing these values as angles.

Thank you in advance

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Robert_LeClair
Esri Notable Contributor

I wonder if you can use a different approach to represent your azimuth values.  For example, North is 0°, East is 90°, south is 180° and west is -90°.  So let's say your field has 340°, do a field calculation where 340-360 and the result is -20°.  Do this for all your "western" values 359-181 degrees.  These will all be negative values.  Then I suspect your definition query of AZIM > -30 or AZIM < 170 would work.  Hope this makes sense!

0 Kudos
Simonez
New Contributor III

Hi Robert,

Thank you, this should work. However, I don't see the point for giving the possibility to allow users to set value names as "angles" in the attrubute field and do not allow angle calculations. It seems wired that ArcGIS Pro won't do such a simple thing. 

Anyway, this is probably something to highlight in the "ArcGis idea" section.

Again, thank you very much for the help!

Simone

0 Kudos
Robert_LeClair
Esri Notable Contributor

Hi Simone - not sure why it's this way as I work in Training Services rather than the ArcGIS Pro Development Team but agree, an ArcGIS Idea may be the best way to address this.  In the meantime, if you feel my response is the solution, you can close this thread by marking my response "Accept as Solution"  Have a great day!

0 Kudos