Select to view content in your preferred language

Vector Tile Staging Fails

Jump to solution
12-20-2017 10:57 AM
EllenLester1
New Contributor III

I am trying to publish vector tiles for a sizable feature class (100,000+ line records) through ArcGIS Pro. I have tried to publish on two different computers and always receive a "Staging failed" error.

Here is my workflow: The data is loaded into a Pro project, then I go to "Share" and "Web Layer". Under General, I select "Copy all data" and "Vector tile". Under Configuration, I set it to "ArcGIS Online/ Bing Maps/ Google Maps" with levels of detail 14-19. I use Indexed tiling format with an index polygon created from the "Create Vector Tile Index" tool. 

I am using ArcGIS Pro 2.0.0

Any ideas what might be wrong? Or is there a way to get more details on the failure than "Staging failed" (no details show up in Geoprocessing History)?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
EllenLester1
New Contributor III

I was finally able to publish the vector tiles. Turned out it was a memory problem. Even though I had optimal memory/RAM (16 GB), it wasn't enough. Had to publish from our server, which has 32 GB.

Also, once I got the contours published, trying to actually view them in Chrome crashed the browser (IE and Firefox worked a bit better.) We were able to fix that problem by running Generalize to eliminate some of the extra vertices. 

View solution in original post

9 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus
0 Kudos
EllenLester1
New Contributor III

Yes, thank you, I should have included that in the workflow above. I do analyze before publishing, and it says "No errors or warnings found."

0 Kudos
MarcoBoeringa
MVP Regular Contributor

I can't really speak from experience with this, as I only tried to publish a vector tile package once and did not encounter this error, but the word "Staging" generally means that some temporary intermediate files are being written somewhere before the data is truly published.

This may be in your user profile folder, or Windows temp folder. As a consequence, if this is true, I guess you may be running out of disk space in that location, especially if you are in some very restricted corporate environment with just limited resources given to each user.

Anyway, this is all just speculation, it may be another issue, although the Analyze tool should probably cover those.

0 Kudos
EllenLester1
New Contributor III

The temporary cache location is my C drive which has nearly 400 GB. The estimated cache size for raster tiling was much higher, but I understand that vector tiles take up a lot less space. Is there any way to estimate vector tile size? The data I'm trying to publish is two-foot countywide contours, so it's pretty big.

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

you would have gotten this error

http://pro.arcgis.com/en/pro-app/help/sharing/analyzer-error-messages/00240-the-tile-cache-size-that...

why don't you reduce the levels of detail until you can get it to work... then proceed from there

0 Kudos
EllenLester1
New Contributor III

I wasn't able to get the full layer to publish at any level. I was able to successfully publish a much smaller section. An intermediate sized layer staged but did not publish. The publishing tools are working and should not be timing out (the process fails in less than 2 minutes.) I monitored CPU and memory on our ArcGIS web server machine and Portal machine and neither seemed high. It seems that I can keep cutting down the size of the area until it publishes, but I would like to avoid that, if possible, so users don't have to load 20 layers instead of 1. Are there any other things I can check or change to get this to publish as is?

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

I doubt it given what you have said.  I would put in a call to tech support to see if they have another other suggestions than simplifying, attributes, geometry or extent

0 Kudos
EllenLester1
New Contributor III

I was finally able to publish the vector tiles. Turned out it was a memory problem. Even though I had optimal memory/RAM (16 GB), it wasn't enough. Had to publish from our server, which has 32 GB.

Also, once I got the contours published, trying to actually view them in Chrome crashed the browser (IE and Firefox worked a bit better.) We were able to fix that problem by running Generalize to eliminate some of the extra vertices. 

TimBarnes
Occasional Contributor III

I have 64GB of memory on my desktop and still get OOM errors/crashes when trying to create VectorTile Packages. Furthermore, tile packages that do create OK, are patchy when displayed/hosted through a webmap (i.e. some tiles won't show).

There doesn't appear to be anyway to run the equivalent of 'Manage Map Server Cache Tiles' to check and repair faulty tiles nor does there appear to be the ability to just generate cache tiles over a sub-set area?

0 Kudos