Vary symbols by size range in ArcGIS Pro

08-10-2017 09:24 AM
GISAdministrator
New Contributor II

I would like to symbolize by both color and size range in an ArcGIS Pro project.  In arc map you could do this by easily In the layer properties > symbology tab by clicking variation by symbol size and creating the desired number of classes with the desired number of breaks, as in the screenshot below:

I have found ways to vary size of a symbol in ArcGIS pro, but I haven't come across an easy way to create this variation in size by value range.  Does it exist?

Thanks,

0 Kudos
4 Replies
AdrianWelsh
MVP Honored Contributor

Yeah, so first symbolize your feature based on unique values to distinguish your colors

Then, click on the hamburger and click on Vary symbology by attribute:

Here, you will keep the colors you established earlier and then you can symbolize by transparency, rotation, and/or size:

I hope this helps.

0 Kudos
GISAdministrator
New Contributor II

Thanks Adrian.  Yes this will allow you to symbolize by size, but does not allow you to create size bins, as you could do previously in arc map (see my screenshot above).  Lets size I wanted to create one size symbol to represent 5-10%, one size to represent 10-20%, and one size >20%.  I would need a way to bin the values in these ranges and assign each bin a size.  Does anyone know if this capability exists as a point and click in arc pro, or do I have to create an expression?

AdrianWelsh
MVP Honored Contributor

That's a good point and I'm not sure. Likely you need an expression. The closest I can get to the "bins" is basically a size scale like this:

0 Kudos
EPowles
New Contributor

I also have this problem 😕 The legend looks great for the primary symbology (tree species), but terrible for the secondary attribute (tree size), since those ranges aren't customizable the way they would be if size were the primary attribute. ArcGIS has chosen ugly intervals with a bunch of decimals. 

0 Kudos