Vary symbology by attribute: what does "Allow symbol property connections" do?

Jump to solution
11-09-2019 10:28 AM
MarcoBoeringa
MVP Regular Contributor

I have a point layer file that I imported from ArcMap into ArcGIS Pro. In ArcMap, the advanced symbol property of "Rotation" was set, and when I inspect the symbology properties in Pro, I see the rotation field properly set in the "Vary symbology by attribute" TAB of the Symbology pane. So far, so good, the layer displays the rotation properly as well, so no issue here.

But at the bottom of the Symbology pane, when "Vary symbology by attribute" is the active pane, there is a checkbox "Allow symbol property connections".

It is not clear to me, what this option does??

According to the Help page here:

Attribute-driven symbology—ArcGIS Pro | Documentation 

"When you are in the Format Symbol mode of the Symbology pane, click the menu button  to ensure that Allow symbol property connections is checked, indicating that the layer is enabled for attribute-driven symbology. If this option is checked and disabled, one or more properties are already connected for this layer."

This text suggests that for some reason you are supposed to additionally activate the attribute driven symbology by checking this box on. In my case it isn't checked on, but still, the rotation is applied properly??? So what does this option do?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
KoryKramer
Esri Community Moderator

Hi Marco,

Perhaps this is subtle in the introduction of that help you refer to: Attribute-driven symbology—ArcGIS Pro | Documentation 

You already have rotation hooked up to a field, so you're all set.  If you needed to further control customization of other specific aspects, you could then enable attribute-driven symbology which would expose control over many other properties that could be driven by attributes.

Does that help?

View solution in original post

4 Replies
KoryKramer
Esri Community Moderator

Hi Marco,

Perhaps this is subtle in the introduction of that help you refer to: Attribute-driven symbology—ArcGIS Pro | Documentation 

You already have rotation hooked up to a field, so you're all set.  If you needed to further control customization of other specific aspects, you could then enable attribute-driven symbology which would expose control over many other properties that could be driven by attributes.

Does that help?

MarcoBoeringa
MVP Regular Contributor

Hi Kory,

Thanks, yes that helps.

Yes, the text is subtle, and combined with my ignorance of how far reaching these new options are in terms of possible connections between attributes and symbology, I hadn't yet fathomed this, especially since I haven't yet tried out the options as described in the mini-tutorial included in the Help page. That ignorance was cleared up by your screenshot though...

CristianChavarini
New Contributor III

@KoryKramer  thank you very much for your contributions. I have the same problem as @JustinOdell, when publishing a service with ArcGIS Pro 3.0 in ArcGIS Enterprise 11.0 with this custom symbology, using an ARCADE expression for the color assignment, the service only respects this symbology with the map image, however, with the feature service it does not work, that is, the custom colors are not applied with the expression.
Is there any solution to this problem?

I attach an image of the configuration in ArcGIS PRO and its visualization in Enterprise.

0 Kudos
JustinOdell
Occasional Contributor III

I love this feature within ArcGIS Pro, however when I publish a feature service from my ArcGIS Pro project, the attribute driven symbology is not preserved on the feature service. It is when publishing a map service, however.

0 Kudos