Utility Network Ribbon not available when working with web maps in Pro

04-13-2018 04:35 AM
ChristianSchneider1
New Contributor II

Hello Everyone!

I set up different feature services in my ArcGIS server and published them to portal. Some of these feature services contain a utility network, some of them not.

When I am adding these feature services to a map in ArcGIS Pro, I can access the Utility Network Ribbon for those layers that belong to a utility network. So far so good.

My idea is now to author some web maps and to write a ArcGIS Pro configuration with a custom start page where the end user can select one of the pro-authored web maps to work with.

My problem is that the utility network ribbon is not visible for the un-layers in the web map. When I take a look at the layers of the web map I can see that the utility network itself is not part of the layer tree which would explain why the un-ribbon is not visible.

How can I add the utility network layer to a web map? I didn't find any way to add the layer when creating the web map in portal. Am i doing something wrong?

Or perhaps the idea with web maps isn't the right choice but how would I pre-author different maps for the end users?

9 Replies
KjetilNymoen_Elvia
New Contributor II

I have the same problem. Did you get any help wth this issue ?

Regards

Kjetil

0 Kudos
ChristianSchneider1
New Contributor II

No, we are still facing this issue. We are hoping that maybe ArcGIS 10.6.1 will solve this issue.

0 Kudos
KjetilNymoen_Elvia
New Contributor II

We have now testet this using 10.6.1 and the latest ArcGIS Pro. Same negative results 😞

0 Kudos
George_Thompson
Esri Frequent Contributor

Did you branch version the data before publishing the Project to Portal from Pro?

--- George T.
0 Kudos
KjetilNymoen_Elvia
New Contributor II

Yes we did.

It easy to reproduce.

Add the UN service to a new map in ArcGIS Pro, and anser yes to add all UN feature services. The UN ribbon and all funtionality works fine including editing of the UN features.

share as a webmap.

Now: Open this webmap in a new map in ArcGIS Pro.

the UN ribbon does not show up in ArcGIS Pro.

0 Kudos
George_Thompson

Thanks for that information. Can you please follow this doc for publishing the UN: Publish and consume services with a utility network—ArcGIS Pro | ArcGIS Desktop 

Edit a utility network—ArcGIS Pro | ArcGIS Desktop 

Have you confirmed that your ArcGIS Enterprise site has licensing for the Utility Network; ArcGIS GIS Server capabilities and extensions—Documentation | ArcGIS Enterprise 

Here is a screenshot of my licensing:

--- George T.
0 Kudos
KjetilNymoen_Elvia
New Contributor II

We have done everything according to this yes.

License is not the problem.

but we do have GIS Server Standard!

As I told before: Everything works fine in ArcGIS Pro as long as I do not use a webmap from the portal.

Please try the same as I described and I guess you will see the same thing.

0 Kudos
George_Thompson

I do not have a UN to test this at this point, sorry.

I would highly recommend opening a support case with Esri Technical Support and have an analyst take a look for more detailed troubleshooting.

--- George T.
0 Kudos
HusseinNasser2
Esri Contributor

The utility network layer is not yet supported in the web map spec. That is why you might have noticed when we publish a map that contains a utility network layer the sublayers are flattened into regular layers (point errors, line errors etc..). When we turn around and add the new web map to Pro the application does not recognize the utility network because it never existed in the web map.  

The web map spec is evolving to include the utility network and other new layer types such as the subtype layer. No hard timeline for when those will come.

There are multiple workarounds for this:

1. (For 2.1/2.2) Add the web map to Pro and then go to the original feature service and add the utility network layer (only) to the map. That should activate the ribbon. 

2. Use project packages instead of web maps for Pro. Although Pro can consume web maps, the native pro project package will support not only the utility network but any layer that is supported by Pro such as the subtype layer which is much more performant than regular layers. I do understand the desire to use 1 web map that can be served across the entire organization in different clients instead of maintaining multiple maps. However, I think maps should be optimized to take advantage of smart clients capabilities.

In 2.3 we have made a fix to allow displaying the utility network ribbon all the time if at least one layer that belongs to a UN is detected. The workaround to add the utility network layer won't be necessary in this case.  

Edit 12-14-2018: The utility network layer still need to be present in the map in 2.3, you just don't have to click on the layer to activate the UN tab.  So the workaround to add the utility network layer after opening the web map still required.

0 Kudos