Using non-unique map series page name for dynamic text in layout

Jump to solution
04-22-2021 12:00 PM
Labels (1)
JeffThomasILM
Occasional Contributor II

I'm using dynamic text to put the page name on each layout page of a map series. The page name is a street address and is not necessarily unique from other page names. I'm also using dynamic text to insert a table attribute for the corresponding features. (Even if a street address is repeated, this other attribute is not.) I just discovered that if a page has a non-unique name/street address, the dynamic text will insert every corresponding value found in the table attribute, which is bad. I'm wondering if this is a bug or an expected behavior. Ideally the page names would be unique, but I didn't think it was a requirement until now. Just trying to assess the situation before I figure out a workaround. Thanks!

Example:

I add a feature with an address 123 Maple St and it has a corresponding table value of "foo". Later, another feature is added at 123 Maple St with table value "bar". Now, if I open the layout for either page, the dynamic text displays "foo bar".

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
AubriKinghorn
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi! You should be able to do this. Can you tell me what kind of dynamic text you are using? Are you using the Page Name or Attribute dynamic text options specific to map series or the Value dynamic text option? 

AubriKinghorn_0-1619121211568.png

Cheers,
Aubri

View solution in original post

2 Replies
AubriKinghorn
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi! You should be able to do this. Can you tell me what kind of dynamic text you are using? Are you using the Page Name or Attribute dynamic text options specific to map series or the Value dynamic text option? 

AubriKinghorn_0-1619121211568.png

Cheers,
Aubri
JeffThomasILM
Occasional Contributor II

I did not realize until just now that those 2 options existed! I was using the Table Attribute Value, but for my situation the Map Series Attribute is exactly what I need. Learn something new every day! Thanks!

0 Kudos