Using ArcMap .mxd map files in ArcGIS Pro

Jump to solution
01-03-2022 07:53 AM
Labels (1)
Hannah_Wilson
New Contributor II

My company currently uses ArcMap and we are planning to make the move to using ArcGIS Pro this year. We have .mxd map templates that were created in ArcMap and are used when building maps for different properties. With the move to ArcGIS Pro I find that I am not able to see the .mxd documents in my files when I go to Import Map. Should I rebuild these templates in ArcGIS Pro so they are a more updated version?

I will take any recommendation on migrating old .mxd files to being able to be added to ArcGIS Pro and the best way to continue to use our templates in Pro. 

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Hannah_Wilson
New Contributor II

I found the issue. The .mxd map documents I was trying to import into ArcGIS Pro could not be found because someone had saved them in a .gdb file. Thus I could see the .mxd maps when looking at them in File Explorer, but I could not navigate to them when trying to import them into ArcGIS Pro. I pulled them out of their prospective .gdb folders and placed them in a regular folder. I can now see all the .mxd files and import them easily. Just a reminder that it's good to know what the file path is if you can't find something in Arc! 

Thanks everyone for the help and suggestions. 

View solution in original post

6 Replies
DanPatterson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

some info is covered in here

For ArcMap users—ArcGIS Pro | Documentation

and here

Import an ArcMap document—ArcGIS Pro | Documentation

Pro project templates

Project templates—ArcGIS Pro | Documentation

Create a project template—ArcGIS Pro | Documentation

and there are other templates if you search the help topics using "template"

as the search term

... sort of retired...
RobertBorchert
Frequent Contributor III

Start Pro.  

Select Start without a template

RobertBorchert_1-1641226618592.png

This will start Pro without a map or layouts.

From the top menu select the Insert Tab

Select Import Map

RobertBorchert_0-1641226585045.png

When the dialog opens navigate to your .mxd and add it.  This will add the .mxd to the project. 

Hannah_Wilson
New Contributor II

Thank you. This is what I've done, but my .mxd files aren't showing up when I try to add them to the project even though I know the files are in the folder. I'm curious if maybe it's because they were created in an old version of ArcMap. 

GIS_Fox
Occasional Contributor III

You can connect to the folder with your MXDs and drag and drop into your PRO project that way as well if you are having trouble directly using the import workflows. I'm on PRO 2.9 and it still retains this function, the MXD files look different and their icon has changed when loading in PRO. 

Definitely going to be re-reading the documentation however, very useful topic.

Best regards, thanks everyone!

Jansen Lyons - Records and GIS Section - Public Works - City of Rio Rancho, NM
Robert_LeClair
Esri Notable Contributor

With regard to your *.mxd, does it contain any *.sde connection files?  If so, try this.  Remove the *.sde files from the *.mxd and attempt to import the *.mxd into ArcGIS Pro.  What is the result?

Hannah_Wilson
New Contributor II

I found the issue. The .mxd map documents I was trying to import into ArcGIS Pro could not be found because someone had saved them in a .gdb file. Thus I could see the .mxd maps when looking at them in File Explorer, but I could not navigate to them when trying to import them into ArcGIS Pro. I pulled them out of their prospective .gdb folders and placed them in a regular folder. I can now see all the .mxd files and import them easily. Just a reminder that it's good to know what the file path is if you can't find something in Arc! 

Thanks everyone for the help and suggestions.