Using a touchscreen tablet in ArcGIS Pro

Jump to solution
09-22-2019 06:47 PM
vegan_wiz
New Contributor III

I'm merging from ArcMap to ArcGIS Pro and due to the higher system requirements, I'm in the market for a new system. I'm considering getting a touchscreen laptop such as the Surface Pro, and actually use the stylus and touchscreen for ArcGIS Pro. I love the idea of using a stylus instead of a mouse. For those that have used ArcGIS Pro in this manner, any opinions? Does it navigate well (clicking, zooming in and out, typing, etc.) or should I stick with traditional mouse navigation?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Robert_LeClair
Esri Notable Contributor

Christian - my Dell 5285 Tablet uses the Intel HD Graphics 620 video card (onboard) and I've had little issues.  If I have a complex 3D scene (rarely), it takes a little time to refresh but for my 2D work, it zips right along.  I ran the CanYouRunIt executable and the only thing that threw a "concern" as Dedicated video RAM (recommended is 512 MB and I have 128 MB).  Everything else was GREEN.

View solution in original post

4 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

I use Surface books with the stylus and the arched mouse (collapsible).  Great setup if you have the budget.  Don't scrimp on the ram when selecting the model.  Also, the screen portion is detachable if you want to use it just as a tablet.

Robert_LeClair
Esri Notable Contributor

As an Esri Instructor, I use a Dell 5285 tablet with a touch screen/stylus option - works well!  Agree with Dan - don't skimp on RAM when selecting your model.

0 Kudos
vegan_wiz
New Contributor III

Dan and Robert, thank you. Now I'm debating on the video memory. The recommended is 4GB discrete, but some of the options I'm looking at is the Intel 620 (onboard), GeForce 2GB, or GeForce 4GB. What's your take?

0 Kudos
Robert_LeClair
Esri Notable Contributor

Christian - my Dell 5285 Tablet uses the Intel HD Graphics 620 video card (onboard) and I've had little issues.  If I have a complex 3D scene (rarely), it takes a little time to refresh but for my 2D work, it zips right along.  I ran the CanYouRunIt executable and the only thing that threw a "concern" as Dedicated video RAM (recommended is 512 MB and I have 128 MB).  Everything else was GREEN.