Upgrading to Pro Annotation causes many Annos to disappear

Jump to solution
11-12-2019 01:13 PM
MatthewDriscoll
MVP Alum

Using a sql sde database when I upgraded the Annotation many of them are ghosted.  They are still in the attribute table, but they do not show in the map and are not selectable.  I can double click on them in the attribute table and they will zoom to where they are suppose appear but they are not there.  It does seem to work if I export them to a file geodatabase.          .

So much for switching to Pro.  

I do have a case opened.    Wanted to see if anyone here have any ideas or have come across this?

ArcMap 10.5.1

Pro 2.4.2

sql server 2016

Workflow:

Reconcile Post Compress

Disconnect Users

Make sure they have a default Annotation Class

Unregister As Versioned

Update Annotation Feature Class

Upgrade Geodatabase

Upgrade Dataset

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
MatthewDriscoll
MVP Alum

It's a bug.  From this and other things I read apparently Pro has a hard time with SQL Server annotation.

https://my.esri.com/#/support/bugs/BUG-000126928 

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
10 Replies
JeffThomasILM
Occasional Contributor II

Are they unplaced? Make sure "View Unplaced" anno is on.

0 Kudos
MatthewDriscoll
MVP Alum

They are not unplaced.  They have no scale dependency.  In fact we figured out they do show up if you zoom in, but the best way I can describe the appearance is flashy and glitchy.  If you zoom out a very few show up.  It's weird, been on the phone with esri the last two days.  

0 Kudos
MichaelVolz
Esteemed Contributor

Do you have any ArcMap users at your org who depend on the annotation?  If so, how have they been able to access the annotation now that you have upgraded it to work (somewhat work) in Pro?

0 Kudos
MatthewDriscoll
MVP Alum

The plan was to have everyone switched to Pro this month.  Thankfully we backed everything up before making changes.  From a usability stand point we like Pro even with the many more clicks, but it's a buggy software and largely non Map equivalent, it is not ready.  

0 Kudos
JeffThomasILM
Occasional Contributor II

I've found anno to be particularly problematic moving from ArcMap to Pro, so this isn't too surprising. I'm sorry it's a show-stopper for you! Maybe next year...

0 Kudos
MatthewDriscoll
MVP Alum

Right!  I actual like working with annotation better in Pro.  But the migration from an Map sde is not as cut and dry as they make it out to be.  I have a workflow/workaround of about ten steps to get it to work, but that is too much if an organization has 100s of these layers.  The one button upgrade annotation I could get behind, if it worked.

0 Kudos
MichaelVolz
Esteemed Contributor

Matthew:

Do you know if this anno bug occurs only with SQL Server or does it occur with other enterprise geodatabases (e.g. Oracle)?

0 Kudos
KoryKramer
Esri Community Moderator

The workaround listed for the bug that Matthew cited says "Upgrade the annotation feature class on a PostgreSQL, Oracle or file geodatabase, and copy it to SQL Server geodatabase."  From that note, it appears that it is specific to SQL Server.

0 Kudos
MatthewDriscoll
MVP Alum

Here is the actual workaround, it's not a simple as they make it out to be.  About ten steps per feature verses one if the tool worked correctly.

Pro Anno Upgrade Workflow Workaround:

In ArcCatalog:

Reconcile, Post, and Compress on the server.

Make a backup of the database.

Copy down the privileges of the features.

Export features to a file geodatabase.

Make a copy of the database somewhere.

Delete any which have the attribute of unplace.

Make sure there are no Subtypes.

Use Update Annotation Feature Class Tool on each. (Note: On update the OID’s may change)

In ArcGIS Pro:

Upgrade Dataset Tool on each.

Triple check all the data. Replace Unplaced from the old version to the new by comparing. (the Update tool in ArcCatalog automatically changes all the status attributes to Placed.)

Fix any errors -> Use the OID numbers to do some of this by comparing it with the old.

Export to the sde database.

Assign privileges

Register as versioned. 

Rename old to prev, rename the new.