Unwanted vertex created by topology in ArcGIS PRO

08-11-2021 12:59 PM
alevesque2
New Contributor

Hi!

I have noticed a strange behavior with my topology.

I have a road network and a topology. My network connectivity is set to endpoint. My only topology rule is must be single part. When my topology is validated, I've noticed that a vertex is created where lines are intersecting.

This becomes problematic when I modify a line (ex: I move a vertex) the line is split where it intersects another line. In my case, I have a road overpassing another one. I don't have a junction where they intersect because my connectivity is set to endpoint. Now, when I move one vertex, the two lines are split, becoming 4 lines and when I rebuild my network, a junction appears which I do not want.  (see printscreen)

How can I prevent my topology from creating new vertex?

I am using ArcGIS 2.6.4

I have tried with different topology rules or with a normal feature class (not part of a network), same problem.

I do not have that problem in Arcmap.

I hope my explanation is comprehensible.

0 Kudos
5 Replies
curtvprice
MVP Esteemed Contributor
JoeBorgione
MVP Emeritus

@curtvprice   A throwback to the coverage data model....

That should just about do it....
0 Kudos
curtvprice
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Don't forget to CLEAN with LINE... 😃  AML forever, man!

alevesque2
New Contributor

Hi @curtvprice ,

Thanks for the article. I was hoping I wouldn't have to do that. With that solution, I am forced to split the totality of the road lines which makes the the maintenance a lot heavier. I would rather keep one ID, speed, direction, etc. for a part of highway between 2 actual intersections.

So if I understand correctly, the topology creating new vertex at intersection is a normal behavior?

Thanks

0 Kudos
curtvprice
MVP Esteemed Contributor

According to the article, that is the default behavior. Since no one else has responded I strongly recommend opening a support ticket with Esri to get the best advice on how to implement your workflow in ArcGIS Pro.

Unless you have a really good reason I recommend updated your Pro to 2.8, there have been a lot of great updates in the last couple of versions.