Unusual labelling behaviour in ArcGIS Pro that seems to be related to output resolution

Jump to solution
11-05-2015 12:19 PM
MervynLotter
Occasional Contributor III

I just want to share with you some unusual labelling behaviour in ArcGIS Pro. I dont think it is anything that I am doing wrong, but perhaps someone may know the reasons why this is happening or have suggestions for a better work-around? I am hoping this issue may be rectified in future releases as it is really complicating my current workflow.

I have a large A0 map (46 x 33 inches) with a lot of cadastral data that I label. There are probably around 900 features that are labelled on the map. In the map I include a layer of our local municipalities as large single-part polygons. I only want to display one label per municipality and the map output needs to be in TIFF.

Under label class properties I have changed the default settings to Remove duplicate labels as well as ticked Label largest part.

When exporting low resolution (100 dpi) maps, the output map is created correctly and I only have one label per municipality. But when exporting as a high-resolution map (300dpi), the labels for each of the 7 municipalities is repeated several times no matter what setting I use. Therefore the adherence to label settings seems to be resolution dependent for tiff and JPEG images in maps with many features labelled. This problem is not repeated for PDF and I find the PDF map outputs great (but not what I need).

The one work-around I have thought of is to create points and label these, but I have not yet tried this. Other ideas?

0 Kudos
23 Replies
FrankLaFone
New Contributor

Can we get this fixed sooner?  Honestly this cripples the product completely for our uses.  Our maps have to have a decent DPI otherwise we can't print.

0 Kudos
WendyHarrison
Esri Contributor

Hi Frank,

We're wrapping up work on 1.3 right now and will be releasing it around the User Conference.

thanks

Wendy

0 Kudos
DanGriffin
New Contributor III

This still seems to be an issue in ArcGIS Pro 1.41

0 Kudos
TomThompsonEsriCA
Esri Contributor

Hi Dan,

I believe this issue is a result of loading hosted feature services from ArcGIS Online or Portal for ArcGIS directly into your project in ArcGIS Pro. This problem can still occur in ArcGIS Pro 2.0, so should also occur in your 1.4 installation.

As a workaround, try downloading the hosted feature service which is duplicating its labels and loading the feature class directly from your local drive into your project, then exporting to PDF, PNG, TIFF, etc.

That should resolve the issue.

0 Kudos
MarcoBoeringa
MVP Regular Contributor

Just for the record, but since ArcGIS 10.3, I have reported a number of major regressions in Maplex to ESRI. These bugs caused crucial existing functionality in Maplex, like stacking of labels, to fail. Some have been fixed since then, but the last regression introduced in 10.4.0 was not. I am pretty sure this affects Pro's Maplex engine as well.

ESRI description: "BUG-000096911: More labels appear in version 10.4 and later versions than in version 10.3.1 and past versions despite using the same conflict detection settings in the Maplex Label Engine"

Mine: "Minimum feature size for labeling" as related to polygon feature classes no longer respected in ArcGIS 10.4.0 and above (most likely affects Pro as well). Features that should not be labeled based on a required minimum size are being labeled despite setting a mimimum size (e.g. 100mm2 print size in a layout). This issue is especially apparent if you allow either:

- labels to overrun features

- allow labels to be placed outside a polygon.

I have seen maps plastered with labels because of this issue.

When: Issue introduced in 10.4.0, and, if I have judged the 10.5.1 "Issues addressed" PDF well, is still not fixed.

My current, only partially satisfactory, workaround for this issue is to never allow labels to be placed outside a polygon for those layers causing issues due to high feature density, and to only allow a minimal label overrun of features, e.g. a maximum of 3pt instead of the default 16pt. This gives me at least results that are acceptable, but I had really hoped ESRI would fix this in 10.5.1...

0 Kudos
OlyPowers
New Contributor III

I'm having a really hard time with this bug, I'm still using 1.4 (I know! But my manager isn't letting us upgrade so I'm stuck with this) and I'm NOT using any hosted services, all the layers used for the map are from our SDE database.

0 Kudos
JulieDel_Muto
New Contributor II

I am still having this problem. Is there a work around or a fix coming? We just upgraded to Pro 2.0 and still can't export at a high dpi without more labels showing up.

0 Kudos
KateNewell1
Occasional Contributor II

Still having this issue when exporting jpgs over 300 dpi.

Using ArcGIS Pro 2.1.3

0 Kudos
ChrisWalker4
New Contributor III

I am having the same issue still with ArcGIS Pro 2.0 , not fun.  Any Status?

I currently have to print to PDF and then export the PDF to an image....

0 Kudos
PhillipaNorris
New Contributor

I have run into this same issue where exporting 300 dpi jpegs the number of labels increase.  I am using ArcGIS Pro 2.1.2.