Unsuccessful ZIP code join with weather data csv

Jump to solution
03-18-2022 12:59 PM
MSherwood1
New Contributor

I have a weather data set for 50 zip codes and I am trying to join to a zipcode polygon shp (I have tried TIGER and the Living Atlas feature in PRO). It does the join but all the weather data fields are Null. I have made sure the field name for the Zip fields are identical. 

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
DanPatterson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

It isn't the field names that is important, it is the contents of the fields.  You can join text to text, number to number, but the contents must match.  For text, the case is important as well.  For numbers, don't be fooled by left justified "numbers" they have probably been converted to their text representation.

Also, if there is no data for a particular match, the row will contain an empty (null) value

... sort of retired...

View solution in original post

1 Reply
DanPatterson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

It isn't the field names that is important, it is the contents of the fields.  You can join text to text, number to number, but the contents must match.  For text, the case is important as well.  For numbers, don't be fooled by left justified "numbers" they have probably been converted to their text representation.

Also, if there is no data for a particular match, the row will contain an empty (null) value

... sort of retired...