Unexpected behavior when accidentally renaming a table using an existing table name

Jump to solution
06-02-2023 04:10 PM
Labels (1)
Bud
by
Notable Contributor

ArcGIS Pro 3.1.2; mobile geodatabase

I have tables called TEST_TABLE and TEST_TABLE_2 in the same GDB.

If I accidentally try to rename TEST_TABLE_2 to TEST_TABLE, then I get an error, as expected, since we can't have two objects with the same name. The table does not get renamed.

However, on closer inspection, when I try to rename the table again, the selected rename text (for lack of a better term) gets displayed as TEST_TABLE, not as TEST_TABLE_2. It's as if TEST_TABLE_2 is actually named TEST_TABLE somewhere behind the scenes.

It's hard to explain, so I'll show it in a video:

Why is that happening?

Thanks.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Bud
by
Notable Contributor

Esri Case #03357360 - Unexpected behavior when accidently renaming a table [using] an existing table name

BUG-000158857: When renaming a table or feature class in a mobile geodatabase in ArcGIS Pro, the selected rename text displays the previous attempt at renaming, even if the attempt failed.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
RhettZufelt
MVP Frequent Contributor

Because Pro is horrible at that kind of thing.  Any changes like that won't show until you refresh the database.....

Why it keeps the old alias instead of updating it to the new name (like the old "real" ArcCatalog does) I couldn't tell you either.  Since it takes 10 times as long, one would think that it would have the time to get it right....

R_

0 Kudos
Bud
by
Notable Contributor

Regarding:

Why it keeps the old alias instead of updating it to the new name...I couldn't tell you either.

This idea is related: https://community.esri.com/t5/arcgis-pro-ideas/if-field-gets-renamed-reset-field-alias/idi-p/1153677 

0 Kudos
RhettZufelt
MVP Frequent Contributor

Similar, except that is for an attribute field rather than feature class.  At least with that one, the new name and alias are right there in front of you in the interface to decide what you want it to be.

0 Kudos
Bud
by
Notable Contributor

Oops. I used the wrong URL in my previous reply. This is the one I meant to use:

Don't inherit FC alias when copy/pasting in same GDB

SOTIRIOSTRIANTOS
New Contributor III

Refreshing the gdb is not always enough. Sometimes you have to refresh the parent folder in order to see the changes inside the gdb.

0 Kudos
Bud
by
Notable Contributor

Esri Case #03357360 - Unexpected behavior when accidently renaming a table [using] an existing table name

BUG-000158857: When renaming a table or feature class in a mobile geodatabase in ArcGIS Pro, the selected rename text displays the previous attempt at renaming, even if the attempt failed.

0 Kudos