Unchecking a layer in the table of contents causes ArcGIS Pro to crash

08-21-2019 01:36 PM
Bristlecone-Geo
New Contributor III

This began in the rollout of Pro 2.4. Then it was raster layers that if you tried to un-check them during editing, it would cause the Pro project to crash. So now that problem has migrated to feature layers. Created a simple line feature layer with COGO enabled. Seemed to work fine for a couple days and now if I want to edit a different layer, and don't want to accidently edit my COGO layer, if I uncheck the COGO layer, Pro project crashes....

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
15 Replies
Scott_Harris
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Pete,

I'm sorry to hear that Pro is crashing for you. I'm trying to reproduce the scenario. Here is what I've tried so far:

1. In Pro 2.4.1, I created a line feature class and enabled GOGO on it.
  2. Created some line features.
  3. Unchecked the layer for editing in Contents > List By Editing tab. No crash.
  4. So I added more non-cogo lines and some polys and created some features.
  5. Toggled editability of all layers, including the COGO lines. No crash.
  6. Just in case, I added a Mr. Sid raster file in the map (previous crash issue resolved in 2.4.1) and tested toggling editablity for the layers and raster. Still no crash.
  7. Just in case you meant you were toggling the visibility of the layers, I tried that too.
  8. Saved the Project and closed Pro and re-opened and tried the same things.

I seem to be missing something.

1. Can you please send me the error report file that was generated after the crash? send it to sharris@esri.com.
    • The error report will be located in C:\Users\yourusername\AppData\Local\ESRI\ErrorReports
    • The date and time it was generated will be part of the file name at the end.
  2. Can you provide a screenshot of the layers you have in the map when it crashes? - perhaps the layer order matters?
  3. What panes are open in Pro when it crashes? (examples: Create Features, Modify Features, Catalog, etc)
  4. Where is the data stored? (examples: File Geodatabase stored on the local drive, or SQL Server Enterprise Geodatabase, etc.)

Please let me know,

Thanks!

Scott

Bristlecone-Geo
New Contributor III

I will as soon as I get a second…

Thanks,

Pete

0 Kudos
Bristlecone-Geo
New Contributor III

Morning Scott,

I didn’t capture the error message, but it happened again when I was trying to edit “ROADCENTERLINE_WORK” in the attached mmpk. I was simply unchecking (or clearing?) the other layers in this project from being editable when Pro crashed…

Kory Kramer also responded, so if you know him you can share this with him.

Good luck, seems to be a problem…

Pete Magee

0 Kudos
Scott_Harris
Esri Regular Contributor

Thanks for the data, Pete. I'm testing in 2.4.1, and I can't reproduce either (like Thomas below). Were you using 2.4.1 when it crashed for you?

I just spoke with Kory, but he said was in touch with you regarding a different (albeit similar) crash issue that you reported here - https://community.esri.com/thread/236005-arcpro-240-editing-issue-with-sid-imagery-in-a-project

That issue was fixed in 2.4.1, so I would like to confirm the version you are using.

Also, after a crash, an error report file is generated in C:\Users\yourusername\AppData\Local\ESRI\ErrorReports\ - Are you saying there is no error report in that location for you? If there are, please send the relevant one to me at sharris@esri.com

I agree with Thomas that Technical Support is a good resource for reporting issues like this - since sometimes the steps are very workflow and/or data specific. Here is contact info for Technical Support - https://support.esri.com/en/contact-tech-support

Thanks!

Scott

0 Kudos
Bristlecone-Geo
New Contributor III

Yes. I tend to be pretty quick on the mouse when checking/unchecking layers. Try to be sloppy with mouse and see if that reproduces anything. And, just a quick question, what happens to the data that I send up to geonet?

Thanks,

Pete Magee

0 Kudos
Scott_Harris
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Pete,

I'll have to assume when you say yes, you mean you are using 2.4.1 and Yes, there are no error reports in that location. If so, that's very odd.

I'll try your suggestion of clicking sloppily

Regarding the data - perhaps you can remove it from your post. I'm going to attach a test file to this comment and I'll see if I can delete it right now

0 Kudos
Bristlecone-Geo
New Contributor III

Sorry Scott,..I hadn’t read all the way through your email. Yes, I’m using 2.4.1 and attached is the error report form this morning…

Scott_Harris
Esri Regular Contributor

Quick question: do you have any 3rd-party add-ins installed with Pro? If so, you'll see an "Add-in" tab on the top of the ribbon like this:

0 Kudos
Bristlecone-Geo
New Contributor III

I do not have any add-ins. I have to go over to our regional dispatch and won’t be back till after 4 pm mtn. time…

Cheers,

Pete

0 Kudos