Unable to install\upgrade via conda: InvalidSpecError: Invalid spec: >=

Jump to solution
04-07-2021 08:35 PM
Tim_McGinnes
Occasional Contributor III

Unable to install or upgrade any packages using conda. I have tried in the Python environment Upgrade dialog within ArcGIS Pro. Click on the Upgrade button and it thinks for a while and nothing happens.

I next tried via the command line:

(zzz) C:\Users\PC\AppData\Local\ESRI\conda\envs\zzz>conda install arcgis
Fetching package metadata .............
Solving package specifications:

InvalidSpecError: Invalid spec: >=

I am using a cloned environment and have tried many different combinations on the command line including -c esri, --no-pin, --dry-run etc. It always comes back with the same error as above. It also doesn't matter what package I try and install or upgrade either. Using Pro 2.7.2

I have also come across an issue in the conda github showing the same thing:

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/60757142/conda-update-invalidspecerror 

Can anyone else confirm they are having the same issue?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Tim_McGinnes

And now it appears to be resolved. Uninstalled ArcGIS Pro completely. Deleted the folder: C:\Users\<USERNAME>\AppData\Local\ESRI\

Fresh new install of ArcGIS Pro 2.7. Applied 2.7.3 patch. Installed Deep Learning Framework from github installer. Cloned the default environment and in the Python command prompt ran: conda install arcgis

Installed successfully, no errors occurred. conda list shows arcgis 1.8.5 installed. Successfully trained and inferenced one of my models so all seems to be working now.

(arcgispro-py3-clone) E:\deep_learning_esri\change_detection>conda list
# packages in environment at C:\Users\<USERNAME>\AppData\Local\ESRI\conda\envs\arcgispro-py3-clone:
#
_tflow_select             2.1.0                       gpu
absl-py                   0.11.0           py37haa95532_0
aiohttp                   3.6.3            py37he774522_0
appdirs                   1.4.4                      py_0
arcgis                    1.8.5                 py37_1783    esri
arcgispro                 2.7                           0    esri
arcpy                     2.7             py37_arcgispro_26810  [arcgispro]  esri

There has been a bit of recent activity in the esri anaconda repo, so I suspect there was something amiss with the packages there which has now been resolved.

conda 4.0 MB win-64/arcgis-1.8.5-py38_1783.tar.bz2 23 hours and 37 minutes ago
conda 4.2 MB win-64/arcgis-1.8.5-py37_1783.tar.bz2 23 hours and 38 minutes ago
conda 4.0 MB win-64/arcgis-1.8.5-py36_1783.tar.bz2 23 hours and 38 minutes ago

View solution in original post

6 Replies
DanPatterson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Do you have full administrative rights to your computer?  (got to ask)

did you try  >>> conda install arcgis=1.8.4  

the above with -c esri added

When you say "any" package, then you have a much larger issue.

The only time I saw that error message it had 2.7 at the end

InvalidSpecError: Invalid spec: >= 2.7

I wiped anything esri from the registry, c:\users and my main install folder (I don't use c:\Program.... etc)

and reinstalled Pro from the *.msi

never had the issue after and never figured out why but a good house clean worked.

As for "any" package, do you have a list?

... sort of retired...
0 Kudos
Tim_McGinnes

@DanPatterson Yes, full admin rights, standalone laptop not connected to corporate network, and working from home on my own internet connection.

I have narrowed down the problem somewhat. Uninstalled ArcGIS Pro, removed all esri folders under the users directory and any registry keys I could find. Fresh clean install of ArcGIS Pro 2.7.2. I can successfully clone the default python environment, use the python command window, do a conda install arcgis --dry-run and I get a list of packages to install. Then do it without the --dry-run and I get arcgis 1.8.5 installed and working.

Then I delete the cloned environment, and install the deep learning framework from the installer provided by esri on the github site. Now when I clone the default environment again, and run the same conda command as before, I get the InvalidSpecError. At this point conda just seems broken - no matter what command line options or package I try and use, the same error just keeps coming up.

And I put the wrong link in my original message - here is the one with someone getting the same error, in slightly different circumstances, but also using ArcGIS Pro:

https://github.com/conda/conda/issues/10594 

0 Kudos
DanPatterson
MVP Esteemed Contributor
0 Kudos
Tim_McGinnes

Looks like someone else has the same issue as me:

https://github.com/Esri/deep-learning-frameworks/issues/16 

0 Kudos
Tim_McGinnes

And now it appears to be resolved. Uninstalled ArcGIS Pro completely. Deleted the folder: C:\Users\<USERNAME>\AppData\Local\ESRI\

Fresh new install of ArcGIS Pro 2.7. Applied 2.7.3 patch. Installed Deep Learning Framework from github installer. Cloned the default environment and in the Python command prompt ran: conda install arcgis

Installed successfully, no errors occurred. conda list shows arcgis 1.8.5 installed. Successfully trained and inferenced one of my models so all seems to be working now.

(arcgispro-py3-clone) E:\deep_learning_esri\change_detection>conda list
# packages in environment at C:\Users\<USERNAME>\AppData\Local\ESRI\conda\envs\arcgispro-py3-clone:
#
_tflow_select             2.1.0                       gpu
absl-py                   0.11.0           py37haa95532_0
aiohttp                   3.6.3            py37he774522_0
appdirs                   1.4.4                      py_0
arcgis                    1.8.5                 py37_1783    esri
arcgispro                 2.7                           0    esri
arcpy                     2.7             py37_arcgispro_26810  [arcgispro]  esri

There has been a bit of recent activity in the esri anaconda repo, so I suspect there was something amiss with the packages there which has now been resolved.

conda 4.0 MB win-64/arcgis-1.8.5-py38_1783.tar.bz2 23 hours and 37 minutes ago
conda 4.2 MB win-64/arcgis-1.8.5-py37_1783.tar.bz2 23 hours and 38 minutes ago
conda 4.0 MB win-64/arcgis-1.8.5-py36_1783.tar.bz2 23 hours and 38 minutes ago

JohnGalambos
New Contributor II

I'm going to file a separate issue to support; however, I'm getting a "InvalidSpecError: Invalid spec: =2.7" error even after full ArcGIS Pro uninstall/clean and rebuild of the environment. 

I consistently get this  error when running: conda install -c conda-forge deepdiff

We've been running scripts using that package for a couple of years without any issues on older ArcGIS Pro installs.

conda --version is 4.3.27 on a ArcGIS Pro 2.7.3 managed environment.

I installed Miniconda3 after this and built up a arcgis/ArcPy environment  there. I'm able to install that deepdiff package  and run scripts with that environment without any issues:

In that Miniconda3 environment, conda --version is 4.9.2. 

0 Kudos