Select to view content in your preferred language

Unable to identify enterprise geodatabase version within ArcGIS Pro: "Version not found"

05-31-2024 01:15 PM
Labels (1)
anonymous_geographer
Occasional Contributor

Hello all,

my colleagues and I are stumped. We are reviewing our end-users' disconnected geodatabase replica versions to see who is wayyy behind on geodatabase upgrades and SQL Server upgrades (we have no control over them, but can nudge their IT to pay attention to it..). All of them are using either SQL Server or SQL Server Express instances to house their enterprise geodatabases.

It's a pretty straightforward process. We right-click on the .sde connection within the Catalog pane, go to Properties, we then navigate to Geodatabase Version and Upgrade Status. From there, we can see if it's a 10.6.1 database, 10.8.1 database, 11.0, 11.2, etc...Piece of cake right?

Well...a couple of our end-users have provided us with the following screenshots that say "version not found". Does anybody have any ideas as to what could be causing this message to display instead of a database version number? I do know that one of these users is currently on SQL Server 2014 with ArcGIS Pro 3.2.  I'm not sure if that database version number is malfunctioning due to the archaic SQL Server version, or maybe a SQL permission is being denied by their IT for them to view that information? I definitely wanted to reach out and ask the community about this one. Thanks!

Example #1:

anonymous_geographer_0-1717186268743.png

Example #2:

anonymous_geographer_1-1717186327487.png

0 Kudos
2 Replies
ChrisUnderwood
Esri Contributor

Hello @anonymous_geographer , you can directly check the current SDE Geodatabase version in the SDE.SDE_VERSION / DBO.SDE_VERSION (for SQL Server) or SDE.VERSION (for Oracle) database table.

ChrisUnderwood_0-1717578353144.png

I could indeed be failing to report the version in Database Properties if the combination is unsupported, eg your Pro 3.2 with SQL Server 2014.

https://enterprise.arcgis.com/en/system-requirements/11.2/windows/database-requirements-sqlserver.ht...

anonymous_geographer
Occasional Contributor

@ChrisUnderwood- Thanks for the info! Unfortunately we don't have access to most of our end-user's SQL Server (nor do most of the end-users for that matter) to find that information. However, we had one of our end user's try accessing the same SDE from ArcMap instead of Pro. The GDB version displayed there, so it is looking more and more like an incompatibility with Pro. One of our end-user's ended up having a 10.6.1 database 😵 . Pro 3.2.x could not recognize that version number:

anonymous_geographer_0-1718052169460.png

This is why we're auditing our end-users though, to find hidden gems like this that need to be upgraded...🙃

0 Kudos