Unable to Connect to SQL Server Enterprise GDB in ArcGIS Pro 2.1.2

03-26-2018 01:27 PM
JaredFischer
New Contributor II

I have a SQL Server geodatabase on our network, which I believe is SQL Server 2012.  I don't have access to the database itself, but I need to connect to it to extract several feature classes.  I have an FME job that extracts everything and writes it to a file geodatabase.  A little while ago, I started getting connection errors in FME stating that it could not connect to the gdb and to check the database connection parameters.  We use db authentication, so I had my password reset, but it still wouldn't connect.  I realized that I started getting the errors right after I had upgraded to Pro 2.1 (and now 2.1.2).  I can connect to the gdb in Desktop 10.5, and I can connect to a different database with the SQL instance using a non-spatial reader in FME, but I can't access the geodatabase either in Pro or in FME (I was using FME 2017.1, and now upgraded to 2018, and it still isn't working).  

My coworker had Pro 2.0 and could connect to the gdb in Pro and in FME 2017, and he upgraded to Pro 2.1 today and is now getting the same error I am (see below).  

It seems like there's an issue when connecting with a 64-bit application as opposed to a 32-bit one, but we could both connect using Pro 2.0, so I don't understand what would have changed.  I checked the SQL database requirements for Pro 2.1 (Microsoft SQL Server database requirements for ArcGIS Pro 2.1—Help | ArcGIS Desktop ) but SQL Server 2012 SP3 is listed, so it seems like it's still compatible.  Does anyone know what might have changed from Pro 2.0 to 2.1 that would be causing this error?

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Asrujit_SenGupta
MVP Regular Contributor

-- Did you try creating a new Database Connection in ArcGIS Pro? or just tried connecting using existing connections?

-- Are you using the same login to connect from ArcGIS Desktop and ArcGIS Pro?

Also if possible, confirm the exact version of SQL Server from your DBA (Example: SQL Server 2012 SP3)

0 Kudos
AbhijeetKulkarni
Occasional Contributor

You need local SQL client with 64 bit for PRO 2.1. 

I haven't used 2.0 so not sure about 32 bit support but for 2.1 you need your local SQL client 64 bit.

0 Kudos
JaredFischer
New Contributor II

I've installed the SQL Server 2012 SP3 64-bit native client, but that didn't seem to help at all; I'm getting the same error in both Pro and FME.  I believe the SQL version the database is running is 2011 (though it might be older).  Pro 2.1 shows support for databases only going back to 2012, so I'm guessing that's the issue, but I can't verify if 2.0 supported earlier versions than that; does anyone know how I can check that?  I can't find any documentation for that for Pro 2.0.

0 Kudos
ThomasColson
MVP Frequent Contributor

The error you are getting is permissions-related. Do you have "Connect" permission, to start with? 

0 Kudos