Turning a Display Filter into a Layer or Shape File

Jump to solution
09-19-2021 06:24 AM
KHALEDHELMI
New Contributor II

I'm new to working with display filters and while I love the flexibility, I'm trying to turn an existing display filter I have (In this case OWNERS of a particular land parcel) into a new web layer or shape file so it can be shared.  The problem is I cannot create a web layer with display filters turned on, and I dont want to export a whole layer when I just want a few parcels from it.  

Is there any way to save my display filters as a new shape file / layer?  I've attached a sample of my display filter

Thanks in advance!

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
DavidPike
MVP Frequent Contributor

I think you would want to use a Definition Query instead (read first paragraph here as to why Use display filters—ArcGIS Pro | Documentation)

You'd simply create a definition query using the same sql query as the current display filter Filter features with definition queries—ArcGIS Pro | Documentation

then you can either export to a new FC/shapefile and publish.  Although I'd recommend the simplest and best (for versioning purposes) is to publish the layer directly, with the definition query applied.  The published data will only contain that which matches the definition query.

View solution in original post

3 Replies
DavidPike
MVP Frequent Contributor

I think you would want to use a Definition Query instead (read first paragraph here as to why Use display filters—ArcGIS Pro | Documentation)

You'd simply create a definition query using the same sql query as the current display filter Filter features with definition queries—ArcGIS Pro | Documentation

then you can either export to a new FC/shapefile and publish.  Although I'd recommend the simplest and best (for versioning purposes) is to publish the layer directly, with the definition query applied.  The published data will only contain that which matches the definition query.

KHALEDHELMI
New Contributor II

Great!  Didnt know about definition queries but that's exactly what I wanted not Display queries.  Thanks so much made my day!

SivaPidaparthi
Esri Contributor
You can use the Definition Expression in the layer properties dialog instead of display filters.