Trying to understand Export to CAD and why its now working for me

01-06-2022 10:33 AM
Labels (1)
JasonYoung2
New Contributor II

I have some GPS points that I have collected in a CSV format that I have had no issues at all displaying in ArcGIS Pro. Usually my work flow is

• Add Data - Insert the CSV into the map
  • Display X, Y data - Select Lat/Long/Alt and this displays the data on the map

Now I want to be able to export this data as a DWG so I can send it over to some of our engineers to work off of but obviously I'm missing something because if I just go over to the Geoprocessing tools and select Export to CAD I get a blank document. What am I missing?

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
7 Replies
ABishop
MVP Regular Contributor

Maybe try exporting the imported GPS points to a shapefile or feature class in a file geodatabase first?  Then try exporting to CAD?

Amanda Bishop, GISP
Sean_Wray
Occasional Contributor

When you display X,Y values Arc assumes these are just WGS so be sure to apply the proper coordinate system to the exported file. Then try exporting to CAD.

JasonYoung2
New Contributor II

Looks like I needed to add a CadType and RefName fields to the attribute table in order to get things to work. After doing that and adding Insert to CadType and a name to the RefName the export to CAD function works now. 

ABishop
MVP Regular Contributor

oh OK... sounds good.  Glad you got it figured out.

Amanda Bishop, GISP
0 Kudos
Sean_Wray
Occasional Contributor
ABishop
MVP Regular Contributor

That looks like an ArcMap documentation?  I though the was in Pro?

Amanda Bishop, GISP
0 Kudos
Sean_Wray
Occasional Contributor