Trying to make a simple model, but getting an odd error

11-16-2019 05:19 PM
AureliusDokeianos
New Contributor

Hi all,

I need to run a bunch of viewsheds that are going to take some time to compute. I'd like to set them up so that they will run sequentially overnight. I figured that the best way to do this was with ModelBuilder. Now I've never used this before, but I read some tutorials, watched ESRI's video on Youtube, and what I am trying to do is very simple. And this is the error I get when I try to run my test model. It gives me the little yellow "I'm ready to go!" shading, but then breaks immediately. I haven't even added a second process, and I'm not quite sure how, but that's a problem for later.

I'm baffled. When I turn and run the exact same process through the geoprocessing tab, it works just fine. My data is not the problem here. I probably made some very elementary mistake here. Does anyone know what might be wrong?

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Reply
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi Aurelius,

Since the same process runs just fine in the Geoprocessing tool, it's possible to just drag the successful geoprocessing result into a new Model and try running that. That copies all parameters just as they were run in the tool into the model. It's a generally a good way to troubleshoot a model process.

Here's the workflow: 

• Open a new Model
  • In the Catalog pane, click on History
  • Find the successful Viewshed geoprocessing result (denoted by a green check)
  • Click and drag the result into the Model pane.
  • Save and run the model.

If that works, it's possible that a parameter was just entered incorrectly. 

I'm hoping that helps you move forward! 

Happy modeling!

-Lauren