Trying to learn how to create an app using enterprise databases from Pro. I tried the Packages with no luck. I share as a Web/Layer map and lose all my labeling expression.

05-22-2019 07:11 AM
ChetShuler
New Contributor III

I tried the Web map and Layer Share and but I lose all my labeling expressions and enterprise databases. Getting errors saying my labeling expressions are not supported.

I tried the using the Packages which I get no errors but cannot figure out how create an app from them.

From ArcMap I always create a service then added the services using urls to the map viewer. Then I created my apps. From what I have read Pro doesn't create services? Pro will create the web map which appear in my folders within AGOL.

I must be missing a step or processing using Pro?   

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
4 Replies
KoryKramer
Esri Community Moderator

Is the intent to publish the services as hosted feature services to ArcGIS Online?

What error are you getting?

You'll want to use Arcade for the label expressions - some things might still not be supported in the online map viewer - like stacked labels...

Pro can easily publish to ArcGIS Online.  If you're trying to publish to an ArcGIS Server, the pattern would be to do that through an Enterprise portal.  But at Pro 2.3, it is possible to publish directly to Server using Python.  https://pro.arcgis.com/en/pro-app/tool-reference/server/an-overview-of-the-publishing-toolset.htm

Publishing directly to Server will be possible through the UI (you won't have to do it through Python) at Pro 2.4, available in late June.

Does that help?

0 Kudos
ChetShuler
New Contributor III

Is the intent to publish the services as hosted feature services to ArcGIS Online? --- No. I believe the hosted service is a static file? I need to use feature service to edit the Enterprise database.

What error are you getting? --- When I tried to share as a layer or map it's telling me "the label expressions are not supported". The expression I'm using is concatenating attributes fields (Pre_Direction, Streetname, and Street_Type) to produce labels for my street segments using VBscript.

Pro can easily publish to ArcGIS Online.  If you're trying to publish to an ArcGIS Server, the pattern would be to do that through an Enterprise portal.  But at Pro 2.3, it is possible to publish directly to Server using Python.  https://pro.arcgis.com/en/pro-app/tool-reference/server/an-overview-of-the-publishing-toolset.htm----  I don't see a need to publish to an ArcGIS Server unless that's the only way to utilize the Enterprise portal? From what I'm seeing the hosted feature service is a static file? I would like to be able to edit the data on the my server using the apps. I will give the python tool and see what happens. It might be a configuration issue?

Publishing directly to Server will be possible through the UI (you won't have to do it through Python) at Pro 2.4, available in late June. --- Sweet that's exactly what I want to do. I may have jumped the gun to soon. I wanted to get a jump start utilizing Pro. It sounds like they are still making adjustment to the software.

0 Kudos
KoryKramer
Esri Community Moderator

Chet, are you running ArcGIS Enterprise? https://enterprise.arcgis.com/en/get-started/latest/windows/what-is-arcgis-enterprise-.htm 

You could publish your layers by reference https://pro.arcgis.com/en/pro-app/help/sharing/overview/introduction-to-sharing-web-layers.htm#ESRI_... which is what you're asking for.

If you do not have Enterprise set up, and are running a stand-alone ArcGIS Server, you can still publish from Pro 2.3, but have to do that through Python as noted above.

For your expressions to work in services, you'll need to translate them to use Arcade rather than VBScript.

0 Kudos
ChetShuler
New Contributor III

Well I found your reply useful. However I believe the software still needs some attention. I converted the text code to Arcade which Pro did very nicely for me. I have two classes of labels within by centerline layer. The feature hosted layer produced two layers in my app that corresponded with my labeling definitions. Also it did not use my formatted text settings or position.  But it finally produced labels. The map viewer under the “Manage Labels” command or tool actually popped up another window I never seen before which shows the written code or expression.

Also I was getting symbol errors. Within my Pro project I used the Forestry symbol for our bikeways and a basic ArcGIS 2D multi-line for the interstate. Rejected both of them. Also appears an ERSI Basemap must be utilized and the projection set to the Web Mercator.

I haven’t tried the python tool/script yet. I’ll wait until the next update and see how it goes. I believe ERSI is going in a better direction but still needs a lot of attention with the services/webmaps for online use. Labeling is a major part of the online maps. The commands and tools need to be friendlier for users like me.   

Homepage

https://cityofmiddletown.maps.arcgis.com/home/index.html

0 Kudos