Trying to learn GIS Pro better but have an error I can't get past

Jump to solution
06-10-2022 11:29 AM
MichaelFoell
New Contributor

Hello. I'm trying to do the lesson Getting Started with Mapping and Visualization. I have gotten to step 3 G, share the web map. But when I click the 'Share' button, I get an error. I was going to try and put in a screen shot of the error, but can't find the location to add that.

Error reads: A web layer named 'DC Embassies_WFL1' already exists. Please choose a different name that is unique within your organization.

I'm not part of an organization, I'm just a single individual trying to improve on my GIS knowledge. I have tried to get it to save to a different folder, but that didn't work. I've tried creating a new folder, that failed. It doesn't want to save it to my esri root folder, apparently the file already exists there. Not sure why it's already there, this is the first time I've done this lesson.

I'm not really sure what I'm doing wrong, but not smart enough to figure this out.

Thank you for the help

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Robert_LeClair
Esri Notable Contributor

There's a chance someone into your "area" of ArcGIS Online has published this layer already hence the message that the web feature layer already exists.  What you can do is rename the layer to DC_Embassies_<your initials> like DC_Embassies_RL.  That should work just fine.

View solution in original post

3 Replies
Robert_LeClair
Esri Notable Contributor

There's a chance someone into your "area" of ArcGIS Online has published this layer already hence the message that the web feature layer already exists.  What you can do is rename the layer to DC_Embassies_<your initials> like DC_Embassies_RL.  That should work just fine.

JerryBartz
Occasional Contributor

Hi Michael,

Robert has a good point., but In reference to your statement  I'm not part of an organization  you are publishing a webmap online and you need to publish to an AGO (ArcGIS Online) account. Robert has the correct solution if you were provided an account by an instructor. If you don't have an AGO, you can can go to this link: Learn ArcGIS

and open a temporary  AGO account.  

0 Kudos
MichaelFoell
New Contributor

Robert thank you for the suggestion, it solved the issue. Now I can continue with the lesson. Jerry thank you as well, but I am already using a temporary AGO account, it's the only way I am able to use Pro. Thank you both.

0 Kudos