Trying to apply drop-down domain to attribute table, but it is not showing up on the table as a drop down

Jump to solution
04-20-2020 11:53 AM
DawnYoung
New Contributor II

I am creating a parking map and for each space I have inserted a point feature, within that attribute tble, I would like to have a field of TYPE which indicates what kind of parking (ada, gen, res, etc) I have gone through all the steps of creating domains and fields however, when I create a new field for the point attribute table, the value does not show up a drop down of the options I entered. I am completely lost! I have attached screenshots. Thank you!

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Katie_Clark
MVP Regular Contributor

Is your PARKING_SPACE_ASSIGN point layer a shapefile, or a feature class within a geodatabase? Domains are not supported with shapefiles. You should see a Domain column within the fields table where you can assign a domain to a specific field.

Best,
Katie

“The goal is not simply to ‘work hard, play hard.’ The goal is to make our work and our play indistinguishable.”
- Simon Sinek

View solution in original post

15 Replies
Katie_Clark
MVP Regular Contributor

Is your PARKING_SPACE_ASSIGN point layer a shapefile, or a feature class within a geodatabase? Domains are not supported with shapefiles. You should see a Domain column within the fields table where you can assign a domain to a specific field.

Best,
Katie

“The goal is not simply to ‘work hard, play hard.’ The goal is to make our work and our play indistinguishable.”
- Simon Sinek
DawnYoung
New Contributor II

Katherine Clark,

I was able to get it working by doing what you said, I turned my shapefile into a feature class and that worked. However, the domain description is what shows in the drop down not the code. I have read that there is a way to switch the display for that, but I can not find it using ArcGIS Pro 2.5. Any suggestions?

Thank you so much for your help!!

Dawn

0 Kudos
Katie_Clark
MVP Regular Contributor

In this case, is there a reason that you would want the code displayed instead of the description? I like to think of the Code like a field name, and the Description like a field alias, so normally that's what you would want displayed in the dropdown.

Like you, I found this article about changing the settings to display the code in ArcMap, but I am also not finding this same functionality in ArcGIS Pro. It would be interesting to know if this is planned for a future release, or if we're both just missing something!

In the meantime, if you really want your dropdown to display (for example) "RES" instead of "Reserved Assigned Parking", you can just put RES in the description field.

Best,
Katie

- Simon Sinek
0 Kudos
Katie_Clark
MVP Regular Contributor

I spoke too soon....I did find this post that explains some (somewhat) newer features that were released with version 2.2 

Turning off Coded Domain Value Display in ArcGIS Pro 

Best,
Katie

- Simon Sinek
0 Kudos
DawnYoung
New Contributor II

That was the same article I had found!

Well, since this is my first time making a map like this, there are probably things I am doing that might not make sense to lol. Basically, I want the code to show for easier reading such as (ADA, RES, GOV, etc) instead of the whole description of the code. I suppose I could put the acronyms in the description, but it just seems to be backwards. 

Also, I did try that "Show domain and subtype descriptions" option, however, it does not keep it as a drop down which doesn't make any sense. (see screenshots) 

Thanks again!!NO DROP DOWN WHEN SWITCHED

Katie_Clark
MVP Regular Contributor

Hmmm.....good catch! So with "Show Domain and Subtype Descriptions" unchecked, it displays the code in the attribute table as expected, but this setting does not apply to the dropdown when editing the attributes of a feature. 

I would maybe add this comment to the Idea page I linked to, especially since it says "partially implemented". Might be something they would consider!

Best,
Katie

- Simon Sinek
DawnYoung
New Contributor II

Awesome, I will do that! 

Thanks, Katherine! 

0 Kudos
KoryKramer
Esri Community Moderator

I believe that you may be running into BUG-000116316: Unable to view the domain assigned to a field if swi.. Please visit that page and Subscribe which will set you up for notifications and also increment the count of affected customers.  

Thank you!

KoryKramer
Esri Community Moderator

Also, Dawn Young‌ I made a quick demo of how using the Attributes Pane is a good workaround.  See it here: Domain Code in Attribute Table Dropdown