Translate OSM

05-25-2021 11:27 PM
mody_buchbinder
Occasional Contributor III

We would like to translate OSM data in pro.

We have this article: https://support.esri.com/en/technical-article/000023329 

There are two problems, first we need to have an extension. Second even using data interoperability does not get all tags like the Editor for OSM did in ArcMap.

Is there any other option or plan to translate the addin of ArcMap to Pro?

Thanks

0 Kudos
2 Replies
DanPatterson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

The most often linked reference basically says what you already know

Solved: Can I download OSM data and save as a file geodata... - Esri Community

and the most recent roadmap doesn't have OSM on the list

ArcGIS Pro Roadmap - May 2021 - Esri Community

and the "Ideas" site reveals little support (going back to 2014)

OSM-Extension for ArcGIS Pro - Esri Community

or github

ArcGIS Pro version of editor · Issue #120 · Esri/arcgis-osm-editor (github.com)

... sort of retired...
0 Kudos
jcarlson
MVP Esteemed Contributor
  1. What data from OSM are you interested in?
  2. What particular tags do you need that data interoperability is missing?

OSM is a very large dataset, and structured such that any single node, way, or relation can have its own set of unique keys and tags not shared by any other in the dataset. "Any tags you like" is actually one of OSM's guiding principles. All that is to say, it's going to be very difficult to get it into a consistent tabular format like Pro is used to working with.

In, say, QGIS, you can open a raw OSM file, but even there, everything beyond the most common tabs will be lumped into the "other_tags" column in an hstore style. It's been a while since I worked with .osm files in Interoperability, but I seem to recall it worked just fine, even for very specific things.

The most reliable route will be a tool you design yourself. Osmcode has some excellent resources for this, though there are certainly others. One of the more common methods, which I've used myself, is to set up a local PostgreSQL server and import OSM data into tables there, then connect to that database from your desktop GIS. Here's just one of many similar tutorials.

But, to return to my initial questions, a lot of this depends on what exactly you're trying to do with the OSM data and how much of it you need to accomplish that. Maybe a geofabrik PBF download of an entire region works for you. Or maybe you only wanted, say, major highways around central Rome. You're much better off using an Overpass query

In short: this isn't something you're likely to solve inside of Pro itself.

- Josh Carlson
Kendall County GIS