Transitioning small scale ArcMap 10 + ArcReader to Pro

11-12-2020 10:10 AM
NathanialStory1
New Contributor III

With ESRI dropping support for ArcMap in 2026 I am trying to get our office set up for a transition from editing in ArcMap and sharing in ArcReader to using ArcGIS Pro. My current process is perfect for our organization but I keep running into roadblocks replicating it all in ArcGIS Pro.

The two biggest hurdles are connecting our AS/400 attribute data and viewing imagery in Explorer. 

In ArcMap 10, I build my layout, have an OLE DB connection to our attribute data, and when I publish a map, the shared PMF just works. It pulls all the vector and raster data from the local server and when I make changes it's near instantaneous in updating. 

When I try and replicate the setup in Pro, my OLE DB connection is empty, all the options for sharing say they repackage our data instead of just connecting to it, and everything I read about raster imagery files for Explorer seem to require very expensive (computer power and storage) pre-rendered image tiles.

So far I estimate I have put 20+ hours just into researching this- am I just missing something here, or are we going to have to scrap everything and dump tons of money into Enterprise?

0 Kudos
3 Replies
MichaelVolz
Esteemed Contributor

Is the AS/400 system going to be supported in the long term?  I wonder if you could transition to a different system for that which integrates better with Pro.

0 Kudos
NathanialStory1
New Contributor III

Thanks for replying. Technically we're on IBM i 7.1- we just keep calling it 'the 400'. Our software vendor for our assessment/taxation system uses it and unless they transition, it's what we have to use as well. IT says they don't see it happening at least within the next 5 years.

0 Kudos
RachelRozendaal
New Contributor II

Are you trying to continue using .pmf's ArcReader to view your data, or are you switching to ArcGIS Online?

To my knowledge, Pro doesn't create .pmf's, so I assume once you switch to Pro you have to drop ArcReader as well. I'd love to know if I'm wrong on that. It seems like everything is going to feature services and web apps these days.

0 Kudos