Select to view content in your preferred language

Tooltip content for fields of script tool

Jump to solution
05-27-2024 01:02 PM
bcdi
by
Emerging Contributor

I created a script tool that takes select dimensions from n+1 .kml files and generates a fairly simple point feature class.* Everything functions as intended, but I am unable to figure out how to add content to the tooltips for each field (no descriptive text appears when a user hovers over the "i" next to a field):

bcdi_0-1716840087095.png

For what it's worth, I am using 3.2.

- Can this be done in the script itself? If so, what's the play?

- If this is to be done through the user interface, where do I go? I can't find anything in parameters, and I don't see anything field specific when I right click the script to edit the meta data.

- Another method? 

Thanks for your time!

*tool allows you to transform .kml exports from adsbexchange into a 2d point layer. Retains n-number, timestamp, and altitude as contextual fields while only symbolizing the point with latitude and longitude.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
ShareUser
Esri Community Manager

The tooltips are set through the script's metadata (right-click, edit metadata).

AlfredBaldenweck_1-1716901599665.png

AlfredBaldenweck_0-1716901571806.png

I think there's an Idea floating around to let us do that stuff from within the tool itself (at least with Python Toolboxes) but I'm not sure where it is.

View solution in original post

3 Replies
ShareUser
Esri Community Manager

The tooltips are set through the script's metadata (right-click, edit metadata).

AlfredBaldenweck_1-1716901599665.png

AlfredBaldenweck_0-1716901571806.png

I think there's an Idea floating around to let us do that stuff from within the tool itself (at least with Python Toolboxes) but I'm not sure where it is.

bcdi
by
Emerging Contributor

Hey - thanks for your response. Unfortunately Syntax is not available for me when I edit my script's metadata.

Can you confirm for me which metadata style you have selected (Options -> Metadata -> Metadata Style)? I'm hoping this might do the trick, but I have tried all of those available to me (screenshot), but none have the option in the screenshot you posts.

bcdi_0-1716937141380.png

0 Kudos
ShareUser
Esri Community Manager

I know you marked this as a solution, but I generally just use the “Item Description” option. Not sure about the other styles.

0 Kudos