Those of you running ArcGIS Pro: What are your system specs? Are you happy with the performance?

03-17-2016 12:37 PM
TreyPrestigiacomo
New Contributor II

We have 2 machines that run ArcGIS Pro. They both are lagging when running ArcGIS Pro, especially when using LAS datasets and 3D scenes. These machines mostly meet or exceed ESRI's optimal specs. Is anyone happy with their ArcGIS Pro Performance? More Video Card? More Processor?

Machine 1:

Intel Xeon 2.4 GHz Dual core

24gb RAM

NVIDIA Titan Z video card

Windows 7

Dell T3500

Machine 2:

Lenovo

intel i7 6700 8 cores

16gb RAM

K2200 Quaddro video card

Window 7

0 Kudos
40 Replies
TreyPrestigiacomo
New Contributor II

Thanks for the replies. We have discovered that network based lidar is just not ideal for performance for both machines. Even with supposedly network friendly ZLas files. It is possible that our network isn't build for that kind of processing. Performance still lags on Machine 1 with lidar stored on the C: drive. Without a doubt, that machine needs a new processor. The processor gets maxed with every pan/zoom/rotate and gets laggy. We are still spec'ing out a new machine and will add these comments to whatever we end up getting and will report back on the results.

0 Kudos
JessHamner
New Contributor

What kind of cache sizes are we talking about?  Would a hybrid drive with a 6GB SSD be enough?  I would think the OS and applications would use a lot of that. 

0 Kudos
TimMinter
Occasional Contributor III

ArcGIS Pro System Requirements note that up to 32 GB will be used if available, suggesting some logic exists to use the storage resources kindly.

JessHamner
New Contributor

Oops.  I missed that in the requirements.  Thanks for pointing that out. 

0 Kudos
JustinConnerWR
Occasional Contributor II

With a lighter machine (Surface w/ 16 GB RAM, i7-6650U processor), Pro 2.2.1 is unusable (basic editing, or making a map with ~10 layers and basic map elements).  We don't have the funds to get every GIS user in our city a computer meeting Pro's optimal requirements.

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

Yet a surface book 2, same specs is no problem for me.  I suppose it depends it is where your data resides.  I work local... no network data for sure

0 Kudos
NickBudros
New Contributor II

I have a surfacebook 2 that I am selling for probably a dell precision machine, the ssd runs half the speed as my wifes hauwei matebook pro and my desktop. The SSD is sata and not PCIE NVME. I find ESRI in general needs fast storage access.

My desktop can run anything, specs below. And arcgis pro just hangs, literally hitting ctrl alt m opens the performance monitor and it says hang, processes just hang. opening up geoprocessing tabs, hang, takes 25-30 seconds to load merge tool. Applying each change and rerending all the things is such a waste of resources. Like changing all the fonts because default font is not a thing anymore.

It acts and manages files differently than Arcmap which is the biggest problem, transitioning to ArcGIS Pro means you have to relearn or adapt your work flow to suit pro.

I usually have a separate map that I manage my annotations in, where its annotation and 1 other layer for reference.

I pause all other maps and or layouts or even close them.

I find it slows down once the cpu gets soaked for heat on laptops and on desktop under heavy load. Pro is unusable for larger data set management.

Intel i7-6700k @ 4ghz

NVIDIA 1080ti Hybrid

32 Gb Ram 

Samsung 960 Pro NVME SSD 512gb

There are so few programs that slow down my work flow like arcgis pro.

0 Kudos
JeremyWright
Esri Regular Contributor

Nick,

Can you either copy/paste or take a screenshot of ArcMon in the cases you see hanging tasks?  I'm curious what tasks are slowing down the works - as Dan noted above SurfaceBook 2 works great for him (and we have several people on the Pro teams who have SurfaceBooks as well).

Regards,

Jeremy W.

0 Kudos
NickBudros
New Contributor II

Its on every machine I use with arcgis pro, for comparison the surfacebook 2 is just slower over all and with extremely large tasks vs my desktop.

0 Kudos
JeremyWright
Esri Regular Contributor

OK.  you mentioned in your report above that you saw things hanging in CTRL-ALT-M - can you please give us a copy/paste or screenshot of some examples of this behavior?  The tasks listed in ArcMon will tell us what code is hanging and that might help troubleshoot your hang issues.