The Color symbology changes when I publish a service.

Jump to solution
04-28-2021 04:13 AM
DanielPérez_López
New Contributor III

The published service is composed of a set of polygons overlapping each other (each of the polygons has different attributes).
I've generated a simple symbology in ArcGis Pro, classifying by a field.

ArcGis ProArcGis Pro
When publishing the service in ArcGis Online I see that the color of the symbology changes and I would not like that to happen.

Agol MapViewerAgol MapViewer

Can you think of any way to solve it? Thanks

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
jcarlson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Ah, that explains it. Symbol layer drawing does not carry over to AGOL symbology. What I meant is that when symbols overlap, the system has to determine which one renders "on top". In AGOL, it's in ObjectID descending order

Consider the following features with their ObjectID as a label:

jcarlson_1-1619620367915.png

Regardless of other symbology settings I apply, the higher ObjectID will be "on top".

Edit: changed symbology of screenshot to show overlap.

- Josh Carlson
Kendall County GIS

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
jcarlson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

What exactly is the symbology set to? What are the field values of the features in question?

If you've set Pro to be a field-based symbology, why do they all look the same in Pro?

When you say overlapping, do you mean they are the same exact shape? If that's the case, it could be that the order in which the features render is changed. Does your Pro project have symbology symbol layers set up? If so, that setting won't carry over to AGOL.

- Josh Carlson
Kendall County GIS
DanielPérez_López
New Contributor III

The symbology simply paints the polygons according to the value of a field (Fincas Industriales en Uso: Distribución; Fincas Industriales en Uso: Generacion...).

They all look the same because in Pro, effectively I have activated the option "Enable symbol layer drawing" which is how I would like it to look in ArcGis Online because I have defined the hierarchy of the symbology.
Yes, in each of the geometries that I show in the image there are 4 or 5 polygons with the same surface, but different field value that is what I want to reflect in ArcGis Online and I can not show it.
What do you mean by "it could be that the order in which the features render is changed"?

Thanks!

0 Kudos
jcarlson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Ah, that explains it. Symbol layer drawing does not carry over to AGOL symbology. What I meant is that when symbols overlap, the system has to determine which one renders "on top". In AGOL, it's in ObjectID descending order

Consider the following features with their ObjectID as a label:

jcarlson_1-1619620367915.png

Regardless of other symbology settings I apply, the higher ObjectID will be "on top".

Edit: changed symbology of screenshot to show overlap.

- Josh Carlson
Kendall County GIS
0 Kudos
DanielPérez_López
New Contributor III

Thank you Josh.
I was already afraid it might be for that reason.
Best regards

0 Kudos