The building has incorrect size import from revit

04-07-2021 05:02 AM
SeventhWang
New Contributor II

SeventhWang_2-1617796555522.png

The model has wrong size, it's much bigger than it should be.

How could I shrink it into the real size?

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
9 Replies
RobertBorchert
Frequent Contributor III

Sorry for my giggle but this is kind of funny. That is one big dang building. 

Do you know the projection it was built in and what it is being displayed in?  Where did the building come  from.  I once had an issue with AutoCAD drawings where the drawer was thinking mm were feet.  So the entire drawing that represented 50 km east to west was actually quite tiny. 

Resizing something that geographically large may be an issue.  Where did the original drawing come from and what did you do to bring it into the GIS

MatthewDriscoll
MVP Alum

I agree.  It's usually incorrect units when I come across this type of thing.  

0 Kudos
SeventhWang
New Contributor II

Haha, It will be funny to me as well if it does not block me.

It's coming from the revit 2020's sample, which located in Revit_2020_G1_Win_64bit_dlm\x64\RVT\PF64\Autodesk\Root\Samples\rst_advanced_sample_project.rvt.

0 Kudos
RobertBorchert
Frequent Contributor III

I have seen some odd things over the years.  A building that size must be a really expensive to heat and cool.  But just imagine all the fresh water capture.

0 Kudos
SeventhWang
New Contributor II

It works for me if I add a [same name as revit].prj file in the same folder of the revit file.

Do you know why it works? Here is the .prj's content:

PROJCS["WGS_1984_Web_Mercator_Auxiliary_Sphere",GEOGCS["GCS_WGS_1984",DATUM["D_WGS_1984",SPHEROID["WGS_1984",6378137.0,298.257223563]],PRIMEM["Greenwich",0.0],UNIT["Degree",0.0174532925199433]],PROJECTION["Mercator_Auxiliary_Sphere"],PARAMETER["False_Easting",0.0],PARAMETER["False_Northing",0.0],PARAMETER["Central_Meridian",0.0],PARAMETER["Standard_Parallel_1",0.0],PARAMETER["Auxiliary_Sphere_Type",0.0],UNIT["Meter",1.0],AUTHORITY["EPSG",3857]]

0 Kudos
RobertBorchert
Frequent Contributor III

the prj is the projection file.  It tells the rest of the shape file elements what the proper projection is for the shape file.  If there is no prj file it will still display it but not correctly. 

0 Kudos
SeventhWang
New Contributor II

Then what should I do to create a prj for a specific revit file? I just use one downloaded from the Internet now.

0 Kudos
DA_BIM-GIS
Esri Contributor

Hello 

The issue is that you are using a geographic coordinate system (WGS84) for the georeference process instead of a projected coordinate system . Follow the steps on this blog

David 

0 Kudos
RobertBorchert
Frequent Contributor III

It can be very problematic to resize it when it is this large. 

If you have ArcMap available 

But here is what I would do.  Find the location of the actual building and place a point at it.  Make the point not selectable. 

In your MXD only have the point and the  building.  Select all elements of the building and observe where the little X is that signifies the geometric center of the selection.  

Snap that center to the point feature.  Save your edits.

Using the scale tool slowly shrink the size of your building.  Each increment save  your edits. When you get it small enough turn on your air photos and rotate and move the building so it matches. 

0 Kudos