Table Creation in Oracle Schema different from my Schema

03-11-2021 01:42 PM
MartinTyberg
New Contributor II

Hi,

I have found that if I create a table in my Oracle Geodatabase with a name that is prepended with its schema, in which its schema is different from my connection, then ArcGIS Pro removes the schema from the name and just creates the table in the schema to which I'm connected. In ArcMap, the table would successfully be created in the schema specified as part of its name. Similarly, if I try to delete a table in a different schema from my own (my schema has rights to delete the table), ArcGIS Pro doesn't give an error; it just doesn't delete it. Is there a way to overcome this behavior?

Thanks,

Martin

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
4 Replies
George_Thompson
Esri Frequent Contributor

That would be expected behavior, I would think. You could see other tables in different schemas (if you have permissions). You can create / delete tables in your own schema only, not in other schemas (as far as I know)

I have not seen the behavior that you mention in ArcMap. Would be interested to see if others have.

What does the "List by Data Source" tab in your ArcGIS Pro table of contents show?

--- George T.
0 Kudos
MartinTyberg
New Contributor II

Hi George,

Thanks for your response. I haven't added these tables to the Table of Contents. I would have expected that if the permission to create/delete tables in other schemas is granted to a schema with Oracle, then this would enable the same schema in Pro (schema configured on the sde connection) to create/delete tables in other schemas. Also, I found it odd that if you try to delete a table in another schema in the Catalog view, the deletion doesn't take place and no error message is given. However, if the deletion is tried from the  Geoprocessing Delete tool, then the deletion fails with a warning that the table may be locked (it's not). I know that sql select and sql update is possible on tables in other schemas in Pro. 

Thanks,

Martin

0 Kudos
George_Thompson
Esri Frequent Contributor

are you using user-schema geodatabases in Oracle?

--- George T.
0 Kudos
MartinTyberg
New Contributor II

No, I've set up a single geodatabase in SDE schema for all users.

0 Kudos