Symbol labels uncooperative

05-20-2021 08:37 AM
Labels (1)
JeffHill01
New Contributor II

Hello,

I'm trying to perform a pretty simple operation - changing the symbol labels for a raster. The original was labeled backwards from what I wanted, but the symbols were correct:

JeffHill01_0-1621524832933.png

When I tried to edit some of the labels manually it would apply the change to a different symbol or not at all.

Here is me trying to edit a label:

JeffHill01_1-1621524913346.png

And the outcome when I apply the edit:

JeffHill01_2-1621524957327.png

I feel like I must be missing something super basic. The raster is a layer from a map package I imported into pro. Is that the issue? Should I export the raster into a gdb and just rebuild the symbology?

0 Kudos
5 Replies
JayantaPoddar
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Assumption: You want to invert the raster value (in %).

If my assumption is correct, You need to use Raster Calculator and define the following expression.

Expression 1(For Floating point output):

(100.0) - "Raster_Layer"

Expression 2 (For Integer Output):

100 - "Raster_Layer"

Then you can classify the symbology of the output raster, as desired.

Think Location
0 Kudos
JeffHill01
New Contributor II

Thanks for the suggestion. Is this a necessary step if I am only trying to change the labels? The values shown are correct and are symbolized correctly. The labels were manually defined in the map package that I am using and are the only part that needs to change.

0 Kudos
JayantaPoddar
MVP Esteemed Contributor

I misinterpreted the scenario.

You can just change the labels. That should work.

If required, you could export the Raster to a different folder (*.tif) or geodatabase. Then change the labels for the exported image.

Think Location
0 Kudos
JeffHill01
New Contributor II

Thanks. Yes, it should work but as you can see in the second and third screenshot, when I try to change a label one of two things happens:

1. The label for a different symbol changes

2. No labels change

Is this a result of the raster existing in a map package?

0 Kudos
JayantaPoddar
MVP Esteemed Contributor

It could be a potential reason. That's why you could export the raster and work on the exported data.

Think Location
0 Kudos