Styles in Desktop 10.x not in ArcGIS Pro

12-28-2020 04:11 PM
Labels (1)
Matt_Trebesch
New Contributor III

Hi,

Quick question.  Why are the Styles in ArcGIS Desktop (10.7, 10.8, etc) ArcMap not provided with ArcGIS Pro?

I find it to be an irritation to have to constantly add these styles back into projects, especially after updates to ArcGIS Pro are made.... 

Am I missing an easier path to ensuring the numerous Styles in Desktop are available to Pro?

Is anyone else frustrated they have to keep going back to Desktop styles, and wonder why they are not natively available in Pro installations?

Thanks!

Tags (3)
9 Replies
DanPatterson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

From

Styles—ArcGIS Pro | Documentation

Desktop styles (those used in ArcMap, ArcGlobe, or ArcScene) cannot be used directly in ArcGIS Pro because of differences in the underlying database structure. However, you can import a style into an ArcGIS Pro project.

... sort of retired...
0 Kudos
Matt_Trebesch
New Contributor III

Dan,  yeah, I know you can import them.  But like mentioned, if you happen to use a lot of those styles (and I have to believe many of us do) when you upgrade versions of Pro, you lose those imports..     It's a little thing.  But of of those many "oh, I gotta do that first" to get maps rolling they way you had them.

My only other issue is that if ESRI wants us all to migrate over to Pro from Desktop, then moving data over like this would be helpful.  Seems to conflict with that desire to keep reaching back to Desktop for Styles.

You know?

0 Kudos
KoryKramer
Esri Community Moderator

Hi Matt,

At ArcGIS Pro 2.6, custom styles (which would include any style imported from ArcMap) can be added to project favorites.

See https://pro.arcgis.com/en/pro-app/2.6/help/projects/project-favorites.htm 

This means that they can be managed like other Favorites - you can decide whether you want a style to be added to all new projects, or just have it available as a favorite that can be added to projects and used as needed.  

Are you already saving your converted ArcMap styles as Favorites and marking them as 'Add To New Projects'?

KoryKramer_0-1609348144866.png

Matt_Trebesch
New Contributor III

I'm not converting my ArcMap styles as Favorites yet. I will give that a shot.

But, I'll still stand by the idea that one day, both products will not be installed.   One day it will ONLY be Pro.   What happens to the ArcMap/Desktop styles then? 

I think to enrich ArcGIS Pro, converting/adding however these styles from ArcGIS Desktop during ArcGIS Pro installation would be ideal.  

JohannaKraus2
Occasional Contributor

Ugh, this is so awful!  I already favorited my arcmap styles and now I have to do it all over again.  I don't mind using Pro, but the styles are limited and there were good ones in arcmap for a reason.

0 Kudos
RolandDuhaime
Occasional Contributor

I agree with Matt that that it would be helpful if the symbology workflow could be improved to be more like ArcMap.

0 Kudos
DanPatterson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

ArcGIS Ideas - GeoNet, The Esri Community

To get your voice heard, support ideas on the ArcGIS Ideas Community space.... or ....

post an idea there. 

Development tries to accommodate user needs, but they need to be heard. 

A good justification goes a long way in garnering support and attention.

... sort of retired...
Matt_Trebesch
New Contributor III

Sure, I can do that.

0 Kudos
Matt_Trebesch
New Contributor III
0 Kudos