Stupid person trying to use ArcGIS Pro

Jump to solution
10-18-2017 01:48 PM
JohnPowell2
New Contributor

I'm trying to work my way through some of the exercises in 'Getting to know ArcGIS Pro' and am really struggling. I'm on exercise 2a which is trying to teach me how to start a new ArcGIS Pro project using an imported map and a new folder connection. I've downloaded Pro but how do you import a map document? I've pressed on the 'Import Map' button under insert and am meant to be importing World_data.mxd from my \\esripress\gtkarcgispro\world folder, but this is no where to be seen. All I have is a connection to my C drive on comp with no files in it. Pleeeeeeeeease help me arghhhhhhhhh.  

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
TimOrmsby
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi John,

Besides installing Pro, you've also installed the tutorial data for the book, right? If not, it's on the book's resource page. Assuming you have the data installed...

When you click Import Map, that opens a file browser window like the image in the book (on p. 47, if we're on the same page). In the directory tree on the left, under My Computer, you can see your C: drive, right? Click on that to select it. Now all the folders on your C: drive should appear on the right. In that window on the right, scroll down and double-click the EsriPress folder to see its contents. Then double-click the GTKAGPro folder. Then double-click the World folder and you should see World_data.mxd. Click it to select it and then click OK. That will import the map.

The image in the book is showing you the final stage of the browsing process and not describing the intermediate stages. There are no stupid people. However, there is instructional design that doesn't anticipate user expectations.

Tim

View solution in original post

8 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

Use your windows File Explorer and search for that *.mxd in case it is another folder... or if it was a perhaps in a zip file.. was it unzipped?

MelitaKennedy
Esri Notable Contributor

In the Insert map box, select Computer in the left browse window. Then try typing the folder path in the search box: \\esripress\gtkarcgispro. 

Or on the Insert tab, select Add Folder. That will let you add a folder connection.

Melita

TimOrmsby
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi John,

Besides installing Pro, you've also installed the tutorial data for the book, right? If not, it's on the book's resource page. Assuming you have the data installed...

When you click Import Map, that opens a file browser window like the image in the book (on p. 47, if we're on the same page). In the directory tree on the left, under My Computer, you can see your C: drive, right? Click on that to select it. Now all the folders on your C: drive should appear on the right. In that window on the right, scroll down and double-click the EsriPress folder to see its contents. Then double-click the GTKAGPro folder. Then double-click the World folder and you should see World_data.mxd. Click it to select it and then click OK. That will import the map.

The image in the book is showing you the final stage of the browsing process and not describing the intermediate stages. There are no stupid people. However, there is instructional design that doesn't anticipate user expectations.

Tim

JohnPowell2
New Contributor

Thank you all for getting back to me. Tim, you're a star for showing that I've missed the obvious step of downloading the data to accompany the exercises (should've read the preface more carefully where it mentions downloading data). In my head I was using the portal connection to my organisation on arcgis.com and searching the web for the files. However, not having the data downloaded in the first place has definitely stopped me progressing. If I could shake all of your hands then I would. No doubt I'll be seeking advice for more obvious problems and I hope the answers are as useful as you've all provided here.

Cheers,

John  

TedKowal
Occasional Contributor III

LOL -- We have all been there and STILL make those obvious mistakes 

JINGWENLIU
New Contributor

I have the same question today and its driving me crazy.!!! Thank you for your question and all the reply!!! Love you all!!!!

LJones
by
New Contributor

Tim,

Thank  you for answering this question so aptly.  John, thank you for asking it.  I am working through the book myself, as you are and I came across the same problem.  Both the question and answer were very helpful to me. And, Tim, thank you for saying there are no stupid people in the world because this self learning project is making me feel pretty stupid.

Livia

bjorn
by
New Contributor
I can't find where to even download the map
0 Kudos