Story Map Permissions

05-05-2022 07:47 AM
Rockhill
New Contributor

Hi Everyone,

I have 3 story maps that were created by students and we would like to have owner permission so we can edit/update yearly.  They did an awesome job! All of us are part of the same Organization account and I've created a group that has all 3 maps in it. We're unable to change ownership so that faculty in our department can have edit access. An earlier post indicated that it might be possible to change ownership within an organization but I'm unable to figure out how to do so.

Any help is much appreciated.

0 Kudos
6 Replies
SFM_TravisBott
Occasional Contributor III

Unfortunately you don't seem to be able to change ownership of a map that's been published, even within the org. 

You can change ownership of drafts, however, so if somebody else needs to edit it we will make a copy of the original, deprecate it, and then change ownership of the draft copy and re-publish. It's stupid but it's what they give us, so far as I can tell. 

0 Kudos
Robert_LeClair
Esri Notable Contributor

If you're an administrator of your ArcGIS Online portal or your Portal for ArcGIS site, you can change ownership of portal items.   Logged in as an administrator, in Content select the item you want to transfer and click the Move To button and choose the option to move to another user.  You can learn more about it here.  There is also a "Swiss Army knife" kit for ArcGIS Online and Portal for ArcGIS accounts here.  

0 Kudos
SFM_TravisBott

Robert - please see my comment above. 

Item  ownership can be changed, but not of a published story map. There also seems to be unique difficulties transferring a story map between orgs using AGO assist.

0 Kudos
Robert_LeClair
Esri Notable Contributor

So I reached out to a few StoryMap instructors with your question and they provided this:

Common Workflows | https://developers.arcgis.com/python/sample-notebooks/clone-storymap-version2/ on how to copy a StoryMap and other items.

Apparently the cloning option with python may not work (yet) either: https://developers.arcgis.com/python/sample-notebooks/clone-storymap-version2/

0 Kudos
SFM_TravisBott

@Robert_LeClair Thanks for sharing. I see we're on to 'version 2', which is nice, considering we worked with an Esri tech over the course of weeks to get version 1 to work, to no avail. 

Can you share why you guys publish documentation on a process that doesn't actually work? It's both frustrating and asinine. It would be one thing to come across the method somewhere else, but the fact that it's official documentation from the company that produces the software is pretty silly. 

0 Kudos
Robert_LeClair
Esri Notable Contributor

Travis - I understand the frustration and wish I had an answer for you.  I work with the Esri Training Services team as a Principal Instructor and teach customers the use of ArcGIS Pro, Geodata, Web Apps and more.  There are a lot of development teams working on various parts of the ArcGIS technologies and within those teams are the documentation teams.  I don't know the workflows used to develop documentation but on the bottom right of most pages are the words "Feedback on this topic" where you can respond to the documentation team that developed that item to provide feedback.  That's perhaps the best way to get the documentation corrected/updated/deleted/corrected/etc.  We try our best, we really do.  Sometimes things fail, slip through, are outdated and such...

0 Kudos