Splitting large polygons creates gaps and shifts boundaries

Jump to solution
04-04-2024 06:49 AM
Labels (3)
AustinBartos
New Contributor

Hi all,

I've been running into a very frustrating issue with splitting large polygons (~60,000 acres). Seemingly at random, splitting a polygon results in gaps at the split or a subtle shifting of one or both of the split polygons. I've tried interactive splitting, and splitting by feature by creating a split line feature class. I've also tried adjusting the XY resolution and tolerance to 10x and 100x the default with no success. GCS is NAD 1983. Is this a bug or is there another solution I'm not finding?

AustinBartos_0-1712238144697.png

AustinBartos_1-1712238192986.png

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RobertCao
Esri Contributor

Hello @AustinBartos ,

There is an existing software defect BUG-000165171 regarding the shifting problem which could be related to the issue you are seeing. Here is bug that I was referring to. I hope this will help.

Thanks 

Rob

View solution in original post

4 Replies
SeaRM
by
New Contributor III

I'm sorry, but it wasn't clear for me what you tried to do and what the initial task is.

How do you need to split the polygons? Are there in the same feature class? What kind of result do you expect?

0 Kudos
RobertCao
Esri Contributor

Hello @AustinBartos ,

There is an existing software defect BUG-000165171 regarding the shifting problem which could be related to the issue you are seeing. Here is bug that I was referring to. I hope this will help.

Thanks 

Rob

AustinBartos
New Contributor

Thanks Rob - I'm looking forward to a fix for this! 🙂

0 Kudos
anonymous_geographer
Occasional Contributor

@RobertCao- Thanks for providing this. Do you know if that same issue could be impacting other topology-related operations? For example, I'm using the Align Edge tool with a map topology and a sliver gap is getting introduced where there is literally no possibility of one getting generated by the end-user (I've tested this is Pro 3.2.x and now 3.3.0 with the same effect). If you don't have additional info, I am likely going to submit this to Esri Support as an additional bug.

anonymous_geographer_0-1715358908485.png

0 Kudos