Split Tool failure Constant

08-28-2019 07:54 AM
JasonLyon
New Contributor III

Seems to have started up recently as prior never had an issues, but now everytime doing a simple split or so it would seem, I get a failure. 

Thought maybe because of a joined table but removed and get same error.

Attaching picture to show, where can see should be a simple split of a parcel, 4 vertices straight across. 

Thanks in advance

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Scott_Harris
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Jason,

1. Is this a polygon or a line? - I'm assuming it's a polygon.
  2. Are there any relationship classes on the data?
  3. What is the source of the data (some examples: File Geodatabase, ArcGIS Online hosted feature service, etc.)
  4. What error are you getting (if any)?
  5. Can you please confirm if "Allow splitting without a selection" is checked or unchecked (bottom of Split tool)?
  6. How many features are selected?
  7. Can you provide a screenshot of the Split tool when it fails - this will probably answer the last 3 questions?

Thanks for any clarification!

-Scott

0 Kudos
JasonLyon
New Contributor III

1. Single Polygon to be split (attachment shows the single selected feature, with the 4 vertices used to split (2 outside and 2 on the polygon)

2. no relationship classes

3. SDE hosted layer

4. general split failure error 

5. was unchecked

6. one selected

Working on replicating the error again. Had been common, but now appears to be working again. Will update.

Scott_Harris
Esri Regular Contributor

Thanks for that additional info, Jason. If you can reproduce again, let me know - ideally, please provide a screenshot that includes the Split tool and the geometry you are splitting (like your first screenshot).

-Scott

0 Kudos
ThomasColson
MVP Frequent Contributor

When you say SDE Hosted Layer, are you directly editing the SDE feature class, or bringing it in through a feature service. If SDE, is it versioned, if so, how many children? Is it archived? Geography or Geometry storage type? What kinda of spatial indexes? I'd start with a SQL trace while you're snip snip snipping. Can you bring the data into a FGDB and do a geometry check? Non-linear segments? 

DanPatterson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

fixes in Pro 2.6... perhaps

BUG-000127784

The Split tool fails with various issues on a feature class if a geographic coordinate system is used and the resolution or tolerance values do not follow best practices.

... sort of retired...
0 Kudos
VanessaSimps
Occasional Contributor III

Posting to see if anyone has figured this out? 

We are getting the following:

"Split failed. Geometry must intersect polylines and polygons in two or more places. Unable to obtain primary key value for origin object"

I switched to Allow Splitting with out a selection and now I get this:

"Splitting features failed.
The table is not multiversioned."

• We are working with versioned data in a sql database. (traditional versioning).
  • Editing a polygon.
  • editing attributes works fine. Editing vertices works fine, editing with the reshape tool works fine.  Something seems to be off with the split tool. 
  • relationship classes are present
  • only one feature is selected

any ideas? 

posting over here as well with hopes that I will get a response either in this old thread or the new one. thank you!

0 Kudos