Split polygons with polyline sections

Jump to solution
01-26-2024 01:06 PM
davidchamberlain2
Regular Contributor

Hi,

I have a polygon layer that I need to split at every start and end point of a polyline layer. So the polylines make up a layer identifying roads and they are split up into thousands of connecting line sections. The polygons are an extent layer for the same road network as the lines, so they do sit over each other. I want to split the polygon layer at every point where a polyline section starts/stops. So the output polygons will be sectioned up at the same points as the lines are. Does anyone have any ideas how I can do this?

Thanks

Dave

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
davidchamberlain2
Regular Contributor

Thanks for the suggestions all. In the end I used the subdivide polygons tool to split the entire layer into equal blocks, this with a spatial join to the line layer achieves the same result as splitting the polygons as I wanted to do originally just in a different way.

Thanks

Dave

View solution in original post

6 Replies
DanPatterson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Do you have a screen grab?

... sort of retired...
0 Kudos
DavidPike
MVP Frequent Contributor

Don't understand at all.  Definitely needs some visuals.

0 Kudos
SeaRM
by
Regular Contributor

As I understood, you want to get polygons sliced some way by the lines contained the start-end points of roads, and these points are inside the polygons, not on the bounds of them, don't you?

0 Kudos
davidchamberlain2
Regular Contributor

Hi all,

Thanks for your interest. I want to split the polygon like this, the red lines being the splits. I have merged what was multiple polygons into one. There are thousands of line sections. The angle of the splits doesnt matter.

davidchamberlain2_0-1706526117547.png

0 Kudos
DanPatterson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Split Line at Point (Data Management)—ArcGIS Pro | Documentation

will split lines at points, if you can create a point layer from the start/end point 

Generate Transects Along Lines (Data Management)—ArcGIS Pro | Documentation

allows you to generate perpendicular lines along a polyline, but you would have to query the transect lines to only select those that are at the start and end points.  Those would be the ones to split the polygons with

At least something to look into

... sort of retired...
davidchamberlain2
Regular Contributor

Thanks for the suggestions all. In the end I used the subdivide polygons tool to split the entire layer into equal blocks, this with a spatial join to the line layer achieves the same result as splitting the polygons as I wanted to do originally just in a different way.

Thanks

Dave