Split polygon with line - doesn't work in ArcGIS Pro 2.3

07-11-2019 01:57 AM
LearningAlaa
New Contributor II

Please, I need help, I've been using ArcGIS Pro v. 2.3 for Digitizing buildings polygon feature class and When I use Tool called "Split" From Modify Features it still gives me the error in the image below "Split failed. New geometry must intersect polylines and intersect polygons in two or more places" 

how can I use this tool in the same efficiency of use it inside ArcMap software?

Error in Modify a polygon feature

0 Kudos
11 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

it looks like you want a 'clip'.  You want a sub-area of a larger polygon.

A split has to go across a polygon boundary entering and exiting at two points resulting in a 'left' and 'right' side

PS

Don't 'Share' to 13 places, we 'moderators' have to clean up the misdirected threads.  Only post in a Place associated with your question.

Learn ArcGIS‌ would have been sufficient, but I will leave it here as well

LearningAlaa
New Contributor II

Yes, thank you But I remain will need a Reshape for the feature after the split it. another wise use of the Split method using ArcMap is very helpful. what I need who to use the split method in ArcGIS Pro in the effective way same as ArcMap?

0 Kudos
BryanTolcser1
New Contributor

Hi...I'd like to revisit this if possible, apologies if this should be in a separate thread. According to the help page below, splitting a polygon without crossing the polygon boundary in two spots appears possible with the same functionality as ArcMap's Cut tool. Specifically, look at steps 7 and 8. However, I'm getting the same error as the original post.

The Clip tool is less efficient for me because I prefer not to make new polygons, instead just subdivide the polygon with attributes that I already have. Any renewed thoughts on this? Thanks...

https://pro.arcgis.com/en/pro-app/2.6/help/editing/cut-a-hole-in-a-polygon-feature.htm

MervynLotter
Occasional Contributor III

You will also get this error message if you do not select the feature before trying to split it. 

LearningAlaa
New Contributor II

But I select the feature before starting to split it. what it can help me to split the feature correctly without errors?

0 Kudos
JenniferCadkin
Esri Contributor

If you need to create a donut hole in an existing polygon, you can also use Continue Feature

LearningAlaa
New Contributor II

Yes thank I know this method but what I need to do now to digitize multiple buildings using the split method in one time it's helpful for me to do my work quickly, how can you help me to avoid this error to appear to me during the split ?

0 Kudos
JenniferCadkin
Esri Contributor

Can you document your ArcMap workflow to help me understand what you need?  

0 Kudos
BradyMckenzie1
New Contributor II
  1. Select all polygons or polylines you want to split.
  2. Click once outside at the start/before the first line/polygon
  3. Click once outside at the end to create a vertex in the split line.
  4. right-mouse-click 'finish' or you can double-click left mouse (if you have enabled double-click as a shortcut for the finish button)

It's slightly different behaviour to ArcMap as I think the double-click will add a vertice AND finish it for the split. ArcGIS Pro will require a vertex placed first. 

I was getting this error all the time when I knew that the line for splitting was past what I wanted to split. The error tells you that the last point you place a vertex is still inside the polygon.

I hope this helps.

0 Kudos