Split polygon tool. Says line doesn't intersect polygon, but snapping is on and it definitely intersects.

12-06-2019 12:58 PM
MelissaDaniels1
New Contributor III

I'm trying to split this polygon about a dozen times. It was working for a while, but eventually it just stopped working. I started getting an error that the lines don't intersect the polygon, but as you can see in the attached photo, it certainly does. Please ignore the tail line outside of the polygon... I was trying to get a screenshot. Snapping is on, and when I hover over the split point, it shows I'm on an edge. How do I fix this? I have tried restarting my computer and ArcGIS.

Thanks.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
3 Replies
Scott_Harris
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Melissa,

That's very odd indeed. I'm trying to reproduce on my end, but I can't. So I have some questions:

1. If you add the layer, and only that layer, to a new map, does it still reproduce?
  2. What coordinate system is the data?
  3. What coordinate system is the map?
  4. Are you the only one editing the data?
  5. What version of Pro are you using?

Thanks,

Scott

MelissaDaniels1
New Contributor III

Hi Scott,

Thanks for replying to my question. I was able to make it work by just extending the split line - so that I was clicking outside the polygon on each end instead of just clicking on the polygon edges. Seems obvious now, but I figured it out by accident just clicking around trying to get it to work. That seems to work for now, but to answer your questions:

1. I'm not sure because I got it to work in the other way before I saw your question and already split it.

2. NAD 1983 StatePlane Missouri East FIPS 2401 Feet_1

3. NAD 1983 StatePlane Missouri East FIPS 2401 Feet_1

4. Yes, just me.

5. 2.4.2

0 Kudos
Scott_Harris
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Melissa,

I'm glad you got it to work. Did you have this checked when it was giving the error?

I can be useful to explore what that option does, since the tool will expect different inputs depending on if if is checked. To me, it doesn't sound like this was the issue, but it could be good to know.

I'm just curious, does your polygon layer use the default XY Resolution and XY Tolerance values for that coordinate system? Here is what the defaults look like for NAD 1983 StatePlane Missouri East FIPS 2401 (US Feet):

Thanks!

Scott

0 Kudos