Spatial joining multiple points to a line

Jump to solution
07-12-2021 07:08 AM
Surya_Vaidy
New Contributor

Hello!

I am attempting to spatial join multiple points representing snowplows to roads in hopes to calculate the frequency of plowing services along certain roads. However, my attempts at joining haven't worked out. I've been using "one to one" joining, but should I be using "one to many" joining? Furthermore, not all the points generated from my data line up exactly with roads. Is "within a distance of" the optimal match option for the join, or is there another option that is perhaps better?

Thank you!

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Robert_LeClair
Esri Notable Contributor

Surya - the Spatial Join geoprocessing tool does have a "within a distance" match option parameter that you could use in your analysis.  Depending on how you set up the spatial join you could do a one to many parameter.  One road segment to many snowplows as it were.  

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Robert_LeClair
Esri Notable Contributor

Surya - the Spatial Join geoprocessing tool does have a "within a distance" match option parameter that you could use in your analysis.  Depending on how you set up the spatial join you could do a one to many parameter.  One road segment to many snowplows as it were.  

0 Kudos
Surya_Vaidy
New Contributor

Thank you very much!

0 Kudos
JayantaPoddar
MVP Esteemed Contributor

It is a common problem where the points might not be intersecting with the line. In this scenario, "WITHIN A DISTANCE OF" with a required threshold distance should work. 

ONE_TO_ONE relationship should be fine, if you are looking for the count (unless you are looking for multiple copies of the target feature).

Think Location
0 Kudos
BarryFosberg
New Contributor III

I have a similar , thogh slight diffreent problem.

Bottom line first:

I need to join points to lines, and sum on 1 of the attributes of the points. I am running ArcPro 3.1.3 WIth among aother Spatial Analyst.

Details:

I have 2457 points, each weighted (count of events), whole numbers from 1 to 8. I have over 256K road segments (line feature).

I want to join the points to the nearest line segement, and know the sum of the events. The out put should never be more than 2457 rows, and am totally certain it should be more like 2300 rows. The statistices (Chart Properties) for the events cannot exceed  3630.

For example one street segment might have 5 points on or near it, but the sum of events at those 5 points is 10. The join count should be 5 and the sum of the events is 10.

Almost all of the street segements will have null join counts.  I do not need to keep all targets (Street Lengths). 

After numerous runs, uing Closest, Closest Geodisik amd a a number of variations of intersect, with "within a search distance" from 5 to 100 feet and while using field mapping (or not)  to sum on the count field, I have nothing reliable. Sum of the event vary from almot 500 too many, to about 500 too few. row couns vary from about 1200 to about 2300. 

Suggestions?

0 Kudos