Spatial data stored in Oracle Spatial with SRID 0 connection to ArcGIS Pro

05-28-2020 10:29 AM
TrevorMillen
New Contributor III

Hi,

I know this must be here somewhere, I just cannot seem to find it;

Connecting to my GIS groups database, I need to connect to Oracle Spatial read-only. They store features with SRID 0, but It is all in a UTM NAD 83 format. Can I set the connection to Oracle Spatial with the correct SRID in the connection info?

Currently I add a layer to my map, use Feature Class to Feature class to move it to a File GeoDatabase and Define Projection.  Each layer takes about 5 to 15 minutes, and becomes a copy of the original data. I'm working to make a live connection to the data for all of the Esri users, and would like a way to define Projection at the connection level instead.

I have not used ArcMap, or Catalog very much, but I do have it installed on my computer if that can be used to setup the connection more intelligently.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
George_Thompson
Esri Frequent Contributor

I am fairly sure that you cannot set a projection / SRID within a connection. It should be set within the SDO_Geometry tables within Oracle; SDO_GEOMETRY and ArcGIS—Manage geodatabases in Oracle | Documentation 

You may want to check with the group that created the dataset. If you use an ArcGIS client it should populate the correct tables.

Geodatabase

--- George T.
TrevorMillen
New Contributor III

I asked the team that looks after the data to correct the SDO_GEOMETRY, this team does not use esri software, but Hexagon product. The data was started in earlier version of Oracle Spatial where they stored everything as SRID 0 is what I have discovered. I hope not to create copies in the future, and would rather pull the information directly from the source.

0 Kudos
George_Thompson
Esri Frequent Contributor

It sounds like they need to update the SRID to a correct / valid one so that you do not need to do the 2 step process. Not sure why they would use the SRID 0.

--- George T.
TrevorMillen
New Contributor III

So I'm told it's pretty standard to store all Geometry as SRID 0 and they believe this is the correct process. so when I load the data from their oracle DB I must tell each software ArcGIS Pro, or FME etc what SRID I want it to be viewed as. I'm not sure I believe this to be correct, as the rest of my data sources all correctly load when added to my maps.

They did show me how to set the map's default setting which is what they tell me is the standard way to do things. I guess for now I'll have to accept this as correct.

0 Kudos