some of .ifc and .rvt files does not opened in ArcGIS Pro 2.8

Jump to solution
05-24-2021 05:41 AM
EricMUSONERA
New Contributor

hey,

I'm Eric, Kigali, Rwanda.

please help know reasons why every time i tried to open some .rvt or .ifc files does not work by telling that, those files are unsupported BIM files. today i tried to open Revit file saved from Revit 2022 but it does not opened, i want to if .rvt files saved or .ifc files exported from Revit 2022 can not be opened in ArcGIS Pro. currently, I'm using pro2.8. below is illustration of error i am receiving.

EricMUSONERA_0-1621859618375.png

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Tim_McGinnes
Occasional Contributor III

As stated on the.What is BIM data  page: ArcGIS Pro supports Revit file versions 2016–2021.

You may have to save or export it in 2021 format in order to import it.

View solution in original post

3 Replies
Tim_McGinnes
Occasional Contributor III

As stated on the.What is BIM data  page: ArcGIS Pro supports Revit file versions 2016–2021.

You may have to save or export it in 2021 format in order to import it.

mrmark
by
Occasional Contributor

Thanks Tim. If anyone from esri looks at this, for those of us who already know what BIM data is (and even for those who don't) when searching specifically for this information it should logically be present in the Supported BIM Geometry section, where it just says it supports REVIT and IFC but does not mention any limitation on the versions of either.

ALSO - the page Tim helpfully directed us to compounds the problem by saying "Updating your Revit files to the latest version can improve performance when loading Revit files."  Except now that we've upgraded our REVIT files to the latest version, we can't open any of them in ArcGIS Pro!!!!

If you know anything about REVIT, there is NO WAY to save a Revit 2022 model as a 2021 model. The upgrade is one way ONLY!

So - in order to use Revit data with ArcGIS Pro ...

• make a copy of all Revit data in the 2021 format that is just used for GIS. This, obviously, will become out of date rapidly as our people use the latest version 2022, for day to day work. 
  • or, do daily/weekly exports to IFC from our Revit 2022 models. Which once again means two datasets, the "real" or "live" BIM data and the GIS versions.

Basically, if you use a current build of Revit, just treat ArcGIS Pro as incompatible. Esri is always behind by one version. 

A man's feet should be planted in his country, but his eyes should survey the world. - G. Santayana
Tags (3)
srinivasrao1
New Contributor

Hi Mark,

We could not be able to open Revit files and when we are trying to upgrade it was showing as cannot be updated to latest version. I am using 3.1.0 latest version. Please let me know. Thanks.

0 Kudos