Smoke alarm data to a building dataset.

Jump to solution
02-10-2021 03:45 PM
Alexander_Thomas
New Contributor II

So I have been asked to try to and get some capital projects into a GIS. One such project is exit signs and smoke alarm data. I have excel files of exit and smoke alarms for buildings around campus. I would like to attach this information to its building footprint in our building footprint dataset. I feel like this is something I should know how to do, but I'm blanking out maybe I'll figure it out later. I have each building as its own feature class inside a feature dataset. I'd like to be able to click on a building footprint and have the attribute table show me all the smoke alarm or exit sign attributes inside that building. I hope this picture attached helps explain. 

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
LindaWilliams1
Occasional Contributor

Since this is a One building to Many smoke alarm/exit sign relationship, and it seems like you don't need to put points for all smoke alarms and exit signs within each building, a Relate would work better than a Join. You would need a column in each spreadsheet for the building identifier that would match a field in your building feature class (you can also combine all of your spreadsheets into one). Once you've Related your table(s) to your building features, you can configure pop-ups to display summaries (such as count of smoke alarms) of the related data as well as clicking on each related table record to view the details. Once you've selected a building, from the Attribute Table you can also click on "Related Data" from the building's table menu and display all of the smoke alarms/exit signs for that building. The link that David posted to the Joins and Relates describes the process and gives additional links to displaying the related data via attribute tables and pop-ups.

One related recordOne related recordSummary of related recordsSummary of related records

View solution in original post

9 Replies
DavidPike
MVP Frequent Contributor

If your smoke alarm data can be linked to a field in the building polygons (building name/ID for example), a join or relate will accomplish this Overview of joins and relates—ArcGIS Pro | Documentation

unfortunately your jpeg is still being virus scanned atm.

0 Kudos
Alexander_Thomas
New Contributor II

So I tried that at first, and it worked in a way but not how I would like it. It basically just recopied the polygon (in this case) 231 times. Since I have about 1700 buildings to eventually add to this GIS I've going to end up having 1000s and 1000s of polygons for each smoke alarm/exit sign. (At least that's what I assume) 

0 Kudos
Alexander_Thomas
New Contributor II

Also does it really take this long for a virus scan?

0 Kudos
DavidPike
MVP Frequent Contributor

I think it's a forum issue.  Will take a look when it hopefully loads.

0 Kudos
DanPatterson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

If you are going to get into this "indoor" stuff in a big way.

Get started with ArcGIS Indoors—ArcGIS Pro | Documentation

might be worth your investment

... sort of retired...
Alexander_Thomas
New Contributor II

So I actually asked about that w/ an ESRI rep a few weeks ago, and they said that it would be a $50k + investment. My department director doesn't want to make such an investment, unfortunately. They'd be fine w/ massive amounts of spreadsheets instead. I've trying to eliminate spreadsheet printing and paper usage and I was hoping I could get a workaround without pitching a big investment.  

0 Kudos
LindaWilliams1
Occasional Contributor

Since this is a One building to Many smoke alarm/exit sign relationship, and it seems like you don't need to put points for all smoke alarms and exit signs within each building, a Relate would work better than a Join. You would need a column in each spreadsheet for the building identifier that would match a field in your building feature class (you can also combine all of your spreadsheets into one). Once you've Related your table(s) to your building features, you can configure pop-ups to display summaries (such as count of smoke alarms) of the related data as well as clicking on each related table record to view the details. Once you've selected a building, from the Attribute Table you can also click on "Related Data" from the building's table menu and display all of the smoke alarms/exit signs for that building. The link that David posted to the Joins and Relates describes the process and gives additional links to displaying the related data via attribute tables and pop-ups.

One related recordOne related recordSummary of related recordsSummary of related records

Alexander_Thomas
New Contributor II

I will work on this and let you know how it goes, thanks! 

0 Kudos
Alexander_Thomas
New Contributor II

So that accomplished what I was looking to do. Thanks! Just gotta clean up the data now. Thanks! 

0 Kudos